-Nobody said it was easy...[Chapter 3]

Start from the beginning

I slipped into some grey skinny jeans and a pink Abercrombie t-shirt before shoving my hair up into a messy, curly pony-tail and hastily applying some basic make-up. It wasn’t like I was looking forward to this and it was seven minutes past already. Whatever she can make me come and do it again tomorrow morning if she likes, at least then I won’t be on my own with Niall.

When I walked in she wasn’t even in there. Niall was just sat at the desk he was sat at before he got moved, still can’t believe she was treating it like school; he was just sat there drumming his fingers against the table and shaking his leg.

I bit my lip as I slid into the seat I was sitting in before I got moved. It’s really quite ironic how we both ended up ‘getting moved’ and are now both called back here together to try this meeting again. We keep on being thrown into situations together and I am really leaning towards divine intervention but if we were really meant to be then why did things go so wrong in the first place?

I brought out my phone scrolling through the messages I had received from Justin while asleep.

“So,” Niall said quietly and then I realised he was staring at me. I chewed on my lip as I looked up at him and he looked just as nervous as I felt around him. “I heard you’re…I heard you’re getting married…”

He trailed off at the end looking away from me while fiddling with the hem of his t-shirt. He does that when he’s nervous or uncomfortable.

“What?”

I said louder and more assertive than him, he turned back to me now his gaze locking with mine and I could somewhat see tears gathering in his eyes. I had many questions. Why would he care if I was? Which I am most certainly not. And also where the hell did he get that from?

“It was, it was in the papers and on-“

“It was in the papers? Are you kidding me Niall you really think it’s true?”

I said in dis-belief probably coming across a lot harsher than I intended.  He shrugged still fiddling with his t-shirt.

“I don’t know, I just…”

“You just what?”

“Nothing, it doesn’t matter.”

He rushed sinking back into his seat and looking away from me again. We fell into an awkward silence luckily interrupted by Claire bursting through the door looking even more made up than yesterday. I felt pretty under-dressed and ugly next to her to be honest. She looked me up and down smirking.

“What you get dressed in the dark?”

She sneered.

“You could say that. Considering its quarter past seven. I do apologise for not looking how I’m expected to.”

“I should hope so, we can’t have that outside.”

“Give it a rest Claire, it’s stupid anyway, you weren’t exactly on time and dandy.”

Niall objected and Claire seemed taken aback by this and didn’t know what to say for a moment.

“I don’t see why you’re sticking up for her Niall; she didn’t exactly make the effort to come to dinner last night either.”

She snapped and I tensed. Why are we discussing eating again?

“Oh just leave her alone. It’s up to her what she wants to do. It wasn’t like she asked for this job.”

“Niall if you like we can do these separately.”

“It doesn’t matter what I want. It’s all about you.”