Chapter Six: Fox To A Flame

Hey, Codexa again! I just wanted to thank my followers and readers for checking out my story. I really appreciate it. Soon I'll have the rewrite of my Paranormal/Romance The Alpha Witch done so if any of you are interested in Paranormal's, Romance, or just feel like combining the two for once hop by my profile the week of the 18th. You'll love it.

Also, I am moving this fanfiction from Friday's to Saturday's effective last week. Sorry if I wasn't clear last week. It was definitely a little last minute but since my boss insists on working me until late Friday's I have chosen to change the day.

For those of you looking forward to future chapters let me know. I certainly don't bite about COMMENTS or CRITICISM (definitely not about VOTES). I appreciate it all as a future original writer.

Now on with the chapter!

* * * * * *

There was a hush over the room as Yoko cupped Kagome's cheek.

No. This wasn't the same timid girl Yusuke had brought into Reikai. The energy she emitted was three times greater than that of the average human avatar. There was no mistaking it, this energy belonged to his mate, Mitsue.

His vision narrowed with affection as her eyes closed and Mitsue leaned into his caress with a purr. To think only a moment ago she'd declared his death by her hands.

At the sudden change, suspicion occupied the back of Yoko's mind. But the nagging feeling silenced as Mitsue nuzzled further into his touch. He inhaled deep, allowing her warm scent to wash over him in waves. Jasmine stroked by morning dew perfumed the room, the familiar aroma meant to disguise the fragrance of her demon.

Yoko switched his gaze from her face to the wound healing at leisure on her right hand.

"You should know better than to tease an animal like a fox, Mitsue," Yoko said, bringing the gash to his lips. "We have a tendency to return the favor."

* * * * * *

Why call her Mitsue?

Kagome watched as the demon before her lapped at the remaining blood. Quivers climbed her spine with each stroke of his tongue making her flush in embarrassment.

Her miko powers had grown since her last training session with Kaede. Healing techniques and reading auras were no problem yet being able to identify smells could not be normal. She was a civilian, a human. So why did his scent still call out to her so? Kagome felt something push against the boundaries of her consciousness.

"He never did take me seriously."

A young woman–hair white, crimson, and long–ghosted through the back of Kagome's mind.

Suddenly, she wanted nothing more than to lean into the caress of his tongue.

Her breath shuddered. "S-Sorry. I'm not who you think I am, Stanger-san."

"I not a stranger," he said, deep gold eyes boring into hers as the fingers of his other hand slid along her cheek. "Never to you."

For a moment, Kagome wished to believe someone wanted her. That someone saw past her flaws as an amateur priestess and believed in her. Yet she knew better than to believe in his words as he licked his lips and cradled her head in his thin hands.

Smack!

Kagome clenched her eyes against the red forming on his cheek and the pain in his gaze. She shook her head, "Stay away from us," something inside demanded. Backing away, pulled Shippo into her arms. "Follow and we shall not be so lenient next time."

The sudden sense they were no longer alone, shook Kagome to her core. With a wave of her hand, Kagome ducked through the portal-Kirara at her heel-not glancing back as kitsune behind her barked, "Mitsue!"

* * * * * * * *

Hiei rolled his eyes at his teammate and-though he'd never admit it-closest friend.

"Let's go, Kurama," Hiei said, "The toddler will want a report."

Yoko watched the portal as if Kagome might hop back through or lift the barrier around it. The girl had a fox's mind he'd give her that. Before Kurama could retaliate, Kagome managed to grab the cub, signal her nekomatta, and seal the portal behind her.

Neither dared touch for the slightest contact seared demon skin.

Hiei expected nothing less from a woman with holy spirit energy. His teammate though...

He glanced at Kurama still testing the portal's seal against his yokai. What did the kitsune see in the strange ningen onna? Certainly not a threat or a challenge. Words had been their only exchange. The last Hiei saw his teammate this determined was...

Hiei tilted his head back and observed the kitsune through narrow eyes.

Kurama turned to him. "Let's go," he said.

Exiting the room, Hiei lifted an eyebrow as Kurama strode ahead of him.

"Problem?" asked Hiei.

"Koenma will not be pleased," Kurama said, "She has the jewel."

Both brows lifted as Hiei noticed for the first time the missing jewel.

"She was able to steal the Shikon and mask its presence from me," Kurama said, "Mitsue has gotten better."

"Mitsue," Hiei said. "Sounds familiar. Who is she?"

"My mate," was all Kurma said as he marched into the demigod's office.

Hiei surveyed the room with an incredulous eye. Koenma floated cross-legged over Kuwabara as Botan wrapped his injuries. On the other side of the room, Yusuke stood against the wall mumbling something Hiei didn't dare ask about.

"Yusuke," Kurama called. "Tell me everything about this Kagome."

* * * * *

Thanks for reading! See you next Saturday!