Chapter Five: An Axe To Grind

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

*     *     *     *     *  

Kagome stood before the single largest portal she had ever seen. Several questions darted through her mind, yet one stood out above the others. Why was this room not guarded? If one took into account how many artifacts and weapons it housed, Kagome was sure that alone would warrant a guard or two.

But relief soon replaced suspicion. The lack of demon energy present coaxed Kagome to set the katana against the wall. One quick motion maneuvered the Shikon no Tama around her neck.

Discovery of the room had been pure accident, but one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. In particular, if the gift happened to be lucky.
"Leaving so soon, are we?"

Kagome swung around and almost jumped two feet in the air. A breath away from kissing, the redhead stood toe to toe with Kagome, gaze locked with hers.Brief as a breeze, his gaze dropped to her lips and Kagome almost forgot she still held Shippo.

"And if I am," Kagome sassed back, overcome by a sudden boldness, "who's going to stop me?"
The redhead stepped back, his lips worked into an arrogant curve. "No one," he said. "You are always welcome to leave. But, this must remain in Reikai."

From his thin fingers the Shikon no Tama dangled, its pink glimmer refracted by the portal's dim light.

Kagome sneered at the redheaded demon. "Return the jewel, kitsune," she said, gripping Shippo tight to her chest. "You know not what game you play."

A glint of gold flashed through the kitsune man's gaze. "That is true," he said, slinging the jewel's cord until it wrapped around his wrist. "but I've always been eager to learn."

* * * * * *
The mystery, known as Kagome, managed a flushed look as he winked her way. A move out of character for him, yet he couldn't help wanting to tease this girl. The way her deep cerulean eyes flashed in anger or how her full lips twisted in annoyance. He would admit if only to himself, he found Kagome's temper endearing.

Eyes still on Kurama, Kagome knelt down to the nekomatta's level. "Watch him, Kirara."

Kurama assumed she intended the cat to watch him. A sore mistake he realized as she placed the kitsune child by the nekomatta's side. With a hiss of affirmation, Kagome stood, removing her pale yellow sweater and tossing it to the side.Although modesty demanded Kurama avert his gaze, he didn't dare look away. Hiei and he managed to drive the girl into a corner, now if they could get her to come along for questioning.

A fearless smile curved Kagome's lips as she snapped her fingers and a ball of ice formed in her hand. "Challenging me, Yoko?" she asked, squeezing the ball tight in her fist until he heard something shatter. "I'll make you regret that demon never killed you."

The heady scent of blood filled the room. Red filtered his vision and Yoko's voice within him growled in agitation.

"If I recall, Yoko never did like the scent of my blood," she said, bringing the injured hand to her lips. Shards of ice, acute as glass, remained embedded in her right hand as she gave the wound a little lick.

Kurama clutched his chest as the demon within threatened to take hold. He bit back rumble of displeasure as Kagome lapped at the blood. The mixture of her vanilla scent, saliva, and blood perfumed the room, forcing his chest to clench.

Kurama clamped his eyes shut, focusing his mind on remembering to breathe as he fell to his knees panting.

Yoko had never given him this much trouble and over a human woman? Kurama wasn't sure what his demon half would do if released, but he did not wish to find out.

"Yoko, you should come out and play," amusement laced the voice right by his ear. "Finish the game your avatar started."

A single lap of her tongue over the shell of his ear and Kurama watched the world go black as Yoko took over.

* * * * *

Hiei watched the exchange between Kagome and his teammate. At Kurama's request, the apparition to remain hidden. Remaining on the sidelines was not Hiei's idea of enjoyable. His dragon itched with the need face a worthy opponent. Something told him this Kagome was the opponent he needed to test his strength.He closed his eyes and leaned into the shadows.

Interaction with the young onna remained prohibited. An issue Hiei intended to remedy soon.

The sudden sound of panting turned Hiei's attention back to Kurama. Kurama knelt on the ground, gasping for air as Kagome strolled into the kitsune's space, a smug look on her lips.

"Finish the game your avatar started," she whispered.

A spike in spirit energy flung Hiei back into the weapons lining the walls. He watched Yoko step from the flames of spirit energy, to stand before Kagome. His fingers caught her chin as she smirked up at him

."Look at who made it to the party," she taunted.

"Even in death you still vex me," Yoko whispered. "Mitsue."