Chapter 40 ~ Blackmail and sacrifices

Start from the beginning

It looked like another ointment-- what he had dragged into the picture seconds ago-- only that the lid was very different and the little glass bottle it was kept in looked much more complicated and elegant. I brought my eyebrows together and let my lips slip together into an emotionless straight line to form a concerned frown. What was he doing? 

He dumped some of the ointment in a weird kind of bag he seemed to be holding and added the liquid from the bottle into the little ointment jar, making sure to leave enough of the original white cream in its place of belonging so that when the moisture was added, you could barely tell there was anything strange inside of the jar at all. You would just think it was a normal healing cream that would  help you get through this nightmare, when it would really be partly so, the other 'part' being who knows what dumped into the glass jar with the surviving essential. Confused and concerned about the scene before my eyes, I let the same question I had asked myself minutes ago slip into my thoughts. What was he doing!?

Just then he twisted close the lid of the jar and put everything else he had used-- which wasn't a lot-- back into his black bag. A noise was heard from another room, and he quickly got up and left, leaving the precious center of my mind's attention laying on the ground behind him. 

I looked at it, concentrated on it. Something in my head was telling me urgently that the jar before me was no good to anyone, and that I should do something about it. But what? If I take it he would obviously find out and kill me or something close if not that, and it would just be pointless. I had to take it away from him without leaving any marks or signs that it was me the one who took it, yet either way if I did take it he would know someone took it. This had to be sneaky and well planned. Two things I found way too hard to accomplish. My head was really uncomfortable right now and I quietly reached inside of my bag to take out whatever it was that was making my head ache.

An ointment. I smiled.

I had a plan.

I heard the faint sound of voices and I quickly snapped back into reality, already reaching over to switch the jars.

Footsteps echoed through the room and I wondered in my thought-filled head how the others were sound asleep with all the noise, or maybe it was just me and my paranoid reactions and assumptions that dramatically increased the sound of everything around me. Oh well.

Once the jars were successfully switched, with the footsteps advancing, I managed to sloppily shove in my bag the mysterious experiment for later inspection. 

The footsteps were closer than ever and with my heart beating out of my chest I had to mentally force my head to make contact with the bag under me and my eyes to close. 

Then no sound was heard from the room, or anywhere. It was all dead silent. I shivered, then almost immediately a hope of no one spotting it followed my regretted action. 

Seconds passed by and I forced my eyes open lightly only to find Shane leaning down and retrieving the ointment I replaced.  I smiled. He hadn't noticed. With the action fulfilled he walked away into another room, coming back minutes later, when my eyes felt as if they were going to die themselves if my eyelids didn't cover them, sending me into a peaceful sleep. Just as if in cue Shane plopped down in his stomach next to me, in his sleeping spot, and closed his eyes. 

Even though I had my suspicions about him, I couldn't smile about the fact he looked so innocent, almost younger in his sleep. Sleep. I really needed some of that. I squirmed trying to get a better sleeping position and kept doing so until satisfaction filled every part of my body and I drifted off into a world of giant cookies and Justin Bieber.... ahh... perfection...

**End Of Flashback *

I smirked at the memory that had taken over my brain for a couple of seconds only to realize-- once I was back into reality-- that Nicole and punched Shane to the ground for something he had said, me not hearing it since I was lost in thought. 

I looked at his body on the ground and assuming by his position and facial expression he was going to once again get up, I rushed to Nicole and put my plan into action. 

"Hey, distract him for a couple of seconds..." I looked at her, who just frowned, "It's an emergency, just a second please... you won't regret it..." I don't know if it was the glint of pure desperation in my eyes or the pleading sound of my request, but either way she nodded her head and went back to Shane. I sighed and rushed over to my bag.

"Where are you..." I whispered to my bag, searching for the only thing that would help me during my plan. Based on Shane's previous, heartless story I had come to the conclusion what he was adding that night to the ointment was poison, which meant-- if I was correct-- that the version of the ointment I had switched and kept was the poisoned one-- something I only knew-- which meant that the one he had given Valentina indirectly was the actual healing cream. Thank god. I shuffled through my bag and my head snapped to Shane and Nicole when I heard a loud grunt, and based on Nicole's helpless position on the ground and Shane's chuckle, I knew I had no time. My hand met a hard glass material in my bag and I pretty much snatched it, opening the lid sloppily with my violently shaking hands. I stopped and looked inside, then sucked in a big breath, causing my hands to slightly steady. 

If I was going to do this, I knew I couldn't just cut Shane somewhere and place the poison in, it would be way to hard to successfully perform both actions. There was one way the poison would go into his system if it wasn't by a wound, and that was if he consumed it. Of course, he wouldn't just all of a sudden stop everything to drink water like "Gotta stay hydrated to look perf" or anything, so there was only one thing I could do. 

I would force him to drink water.

Nah just kidding that's stupid.

I looked over at Nicole, who was bleeding all over and her skin tone on her face was barely visible with all the dark purple spots on it. I gasped and tried to swallow the lump that had formed in my throat. I wasn't going to start crying and let her die, even if what I was about to do would not only kill Shane but most likely me, I wasn't about to quit.

Looking over at Nicole one last time, I dipped my fingers rather swiftly into the poison and looked at them once they were out. 

Damn, I was about to kill myself and Shane to save everyone I had come to call my family...

I was going to end my life selflessly to save others'.

I was going to never see my mom or dad ever again to save Val and Cameron and Nicole and all the people I now loved.

I was going to end my life for them.

And damn again, cause it felt just right.

---------------------

Soo some people are going to die.... and by some people I mean your favorite characters... but hey hey hey... at least there's a couple of chapters left.. lol

So no one's reading this but I'm still writing cause I love to write so oh well :P

Happy late Father's day to everyone's dad!

Kisses and hugs and pizza wishes,

~Val