Chapter 23 ~ Kissing the dead

(Guys I would appreciate sooo much if you could vote... and I know these messages are annoying XD so I'll stop just telling you I am soooo happy you guys like the story! I was planning on making the first book maybe 50 chapters...? I'll see but thanks to everyone for reading and voting you don't know how much that helps! Xoxo, Val :P (oh and warning the ending of the book will be ummm... really sad.....))

** VAL'S POV **

I feel his soft lips brush against mine and I feel a light tickle in my stomach. I don't know how long I had been standing there, but the heavy rain still hit my soaked hair and suit. He meant it...maybe he really did...If so... do I love him too? I kissed him back and leaned into him... who cares anyway, right? If I'm going to die, I might as well die happy...

 ** NICOLE'S POV **

"I can't believe you shot her..." I said to Caitlynn, clearly surprised and still taking in the details of the situation, "I didn't even know we had guns as weapons..." I admit, a puzzled look covering my face, "I know... I found it next to a tree, it only has two bullets--one now, actually..." if the creators were trying to imitate the Hunger Games, they would never give us a gun... that would be unfair and stupid.... "Why do you think it was there?" I ask, still trying to connect the dots in my head, "Well there's a chance they had to enter the games and something happened that caused them to drop the gun, or maybe... it was left there purposely, maybe to see what the competitors would do with it... a test of some kind? Maybe it has a camera, or something in it that benefits them...." her expression was, too, confused, like mine. 

After minutes of endless walking, a bright light ahead brought me back to reality, "Look..." I pointed at the light, which I now realized was a huge fire. "What if she's there?" I said, my eyes on the fire, "We have to go...." we started running, and little by little, I started to realize the fire was further away than we thought, or maybe... maybe we weren't even moving at all....

 ** CAMERON'S POV **

I was literally crazy, I can't believe I kissed her... oh well... at least she wasn't dead... and I was too thankful for that to worry about anything else... "I'm sorry--I--I.." I stuttered the words, trying to explain the crazy behavior but she just smiled, "It's okay..." she whispered, looking down at her feet, her cheeks becoming red. Reality smacked me when I realized no one else was here,  and it was just us two."Val..." I said, looking around frantically...she looked up at me, "Yes?" the loudest noise on Earth interrupted my words and before I could grab ahold of her hand, a huge crack on the floor left us at least a mile away from each other within seconds, "Cameron!!" she screamed, her face red, "Stand still!" I called back, trying to keep calm and failing miserably, "Just stand still, don't move..." and of course, she did the opposite, leaving me breathless...

 ** NICOLE'S POV **

"Caitlynn! Don't move!" I screamed, and she instantly obeyed, making me sigh in relief, "We're not getting anywhere..." she said softly, reading my thoughts, "I know... why would--?" I started to say but a huge crack on the floor started to form, and before I knew it Caitlynn was screaming at me to jump to her side, now. I did, not even considering the consequences, or what would happen if I didn't make it, I just jumped. Simply jumped. I looked over at Caitlynn for a second before making my move, and she looked at me with worried eyes, "You can do it," she said instantly, the sky turning the deepest shade of red, "I know!" I screamed while in the air, and when I thought I was actually going to make it, the crack grew wider, and I cursed under my breath, probably because I didn't have enough breath to scream and there was nothing else I could do by now. I moved my feet desperately, hoping to reach the other side, and all I could do was grab ahold of the small crack on the dirt, digging my  fingers in desperately, "Caitlynn!" I screamed, "Help!!" she looked down at me and mouthed to shut up, and I felt like punching her in the guts, but I didn't. I waited, wondering what the hell was going on up there, while I was here, trying not to scream and trying not to let go when that was all my body wanted to do. The death announcer went off, and for the rest of the night, I never saw Caitlynn again...

 ** VAL'S POV **

I had an idea. I knew it was stupid but I had nothing to lose, so I decided almost instantly I could try it. The people who had created this would know we would try to stay on the surface... but what if that's where the next trap would happen? What if that's where they would kill us? I knew this sounded nonsense and stupid, but it was kind of logical. Maybe they wanted us to stay on the surface, and I would never give those assholes what they wanted, so it was settled. I jumped.

 ** CAMERON'S POV **

I hadn't been this freaked out in my entire life, I had seen Val dead... at least I had thought she was dead... but now... witnessing her jump to her certain death... I was speechless. 

The look in her eyes when she jumped though, the security behind the fear in them... it was just as if she was doing it... on purpose... like she wanted to do it... like she wanted to jump...

I don't know what it was about it, but something inside of me told me to jump after her, to just do it...so I did... I closed my eyes, hoped for the  best, and jumped.

 **KELLY'S POV **

"Eli!" I screamed and ducked, hoping for him to do the same, "What?" he asked, still standing, "DUCK!" I yelled, rolling my eyes, "Why?" he asked, too calm and coolly, "Just shut up and do it, or stay up, whatever you want..." I threatened and he ducked, clearly not wanting to see what would happen if he didn't, "An earthquake?" he asked, looking over at me when the ground began to shake, "I don't know." I answered truthfully, looking past the tall trees in front of us. I had noticed this behavior from quite a few miles away and knew that if we were standing up we would most likely trip and fall and get hurt, unlike now that  we have more control of ourselves and our actions.  

"Kelly..." Eli started to say as the ground began to shake rather violently, "Don't move" I said, firm enough to make him flinch, "Ok... ok..." the ground between us cracked open, revealing a huge, deep hole in the middle. We were moving apart slowly, and I caught Eli staring behind me, wide-eyed, his expression terrified. For a second and only a second I was too scared to see what... or who was behind me. I knew I would probably die sooner or later in the games anyway so it wouldn't hurt to turn around...right?

 ** PARKER'S POV **

I had been lucky enough to escape Jordyn. I didn't know who she really was until she swore she would find and kill Valentina after that time where she was able to run away. I felt like a mean dumbass, Val was my ally-- I think-- and she was about to get killed and I wasn't able to do anything about it... idiot material... "I swear. You are soooo annoying, I can't even like stand you..." oh. And did I mention that after I left the maze and came into the jungle I fell in a hole and found out there was something worse than death? No.. I don't think I mentioned that... well... that thing... is Nicole. She wouldn't stop talking about how stupid and mean and annoying I was and I was pretty sure I hadn't said I word since I saw her. I think the fall...injured her thinking ability if you will...."Fine with me...as long as I can use you as a shield then I'm fine..." I rubbed my eyes and the ground shook again, great. After about five seconds it started to shake like hell. I couldn't bare it and I fell to the ground, and to my complete annoyance, Nicole fell right on top of me and the fall was so brutal it caused  her lips to collapse against mine. 

"Well... well..." a voice said from above, and I had completely forgotten I was kissing her-- or she was kissing me... or it was just the ground... right?--  "Little rat ran away and he got himself a girlfriend..." I heard chuckles and suddenly knew who it was. "Parker!!" I heard a scream, followed by footsteps and grunts, as well as screams and knives, "Leave him the fuck alone..." 

"Ha... you again! I have been waiting to kill you for too long now!" a voice said, "Val!" another scream, "Cameron?"

"Kelly?"

A knife.

"Val!"

"You little bitch!"

"Cameron!!!" this was more of a desperate scream. 

"Sweet dreams."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" An inhuman cry, and the death announcer went off.

What just happened?