Chapter 40 ~ Blackmail and sacrifices

(Caitlynn Picture on side)

** VAL'S POV**

Nothing. I could do nothing. I couldn't move any parts of my body or open my mouth, or eyes. 

I could only listen. Helplessly take in others' words without being able to in any way react.

"Simple. Come with me and no one will get hurt."

I could recognize that voice anywhere. That bitch.

"Or don't come with me and say goodbye to that person you so much 'love'" I could almost feel the smirk on her face. No-- I could almost see it. It felt so real in front of me, her eyes looking straight into Cameron's.

Wait. 

I was actually seeing it! It wasn't a dream.

"What are you doing!?" A scream was heard throughout the room and I froze, suddenly knowing who the voice belonged to.

 ** JORDYN'S POV **

There was one little thing that Shane had forgotten to mention.

* Flashback *

My eyes opened groggily, and I felt like going back to sleep, but simply couldn't.

I sighed, and before deciding weather to drift off or stay away something was heard from somewhere close-- another room, I guessed.

After the creepy sound, a scream was let free, followed by the too familiar, chilling sound that announced-- as we all knew much too well-- someone's death. A horrible event, but for others, a celebration bigger than all. One less competitor to kill. It was awful-- the concept, the sound, the people, but one thing I couldn't judge for yet was the reason, yet something kept telling me inside my head that for no reason whatsoever should a handful of kids our age be put on a dark maze and locked in with the purpose of physically destroying each other in order to get out, back to the families we all seemed to have forgotten. 

I was snapped out of my thoughts and judgments when footsteps were heard advancing slowly towards our group. I decided to close my eyes and pretend I was sound asleep, then spy on whoever it was. It was obviously an awful idea, since the person could just kill us all right there and then, but finding it obvious I had no other choice but to hope it was no one deadly-- or at least someone who wouldn't kill us in our sleep-- I proceeded with the instantaneous plan. Just when I adjusted to the ground a little and put my head on my bag, something hard blocked it from reaching the perfect comfort spot. I silently groaned.

I felt the footsteps come to a terrifying stop and when I felt someone sit beside me I let my eyes slightly open to see who the invader could be. At the sight of his hair I instantly knew who it was, and thanked the lord for making him sit with his back to me, since this way I could see everything he was doing perfectly with a very small chance of getting caught, which would only happened -- I assumed-- if I made any noises or distractions. And I wouldn't... I hoped.

I watched as Shane took out from his bag the ointment that Nicole had given to him when he claimed to have hurt his leg yesterday. Oh. He was probably just putting some more on to help ease the pain. Now I felt extremely bad for ever thinking he would straight up betray us. Stupid me.

A tingle of curiosity raised in me at the sight of him pulling something else into the picture, this time rather from the floor, a couple of inches away from where he was doing-- well whatever he was doing. My head felt more uncomfortable from whatever it was that was in my bag and I was forced to ignore the feeling, since I wanted anything but to shift his attention from it to me.