CHAPTER 20

Halima sat beside the hospital bed in the executive hospital suite. She watched the slow rise and fall of the frail form under the covers. Joyce looked as though the events of the evening had added about ten years to her already grey haired head. Halima compared the now unconscious woman to the boss lady she had turned into once they arrived at the hospital.

Joyce hadn't been kidding when she said that they owned the hospital. Looking around the expensive decor in the room, she remembered how the staff had reacted, once they saw who the patient was that had just arrived.

All the doctor's and nurses had dropped everything and rushed to George's stretcher. Ryan had stepped back because before he knew it, the old man had about ten doctors and an even larger number of nurses milling around him, all asking questions and shouting orders. Joyce had placed two fingers in her mouth and let out a loud whistle stopping everyone in their tracks. All eyes turned to stare at her.

"Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth!" She bellowed. "That is Dr. Mitchell." She pointed to Ryan who stood a few meters away watching the unfolding scene. "He will be in charge of my husband, assisted by Dr. Wamalwa until Dr. Omondi arrives. The rest of you, get back to work, now!" Her orotund voice had filled the room, as everyone scattered to do her bidding.

Halima had accompanied her to a VIP seating area as Ryan helped wheel the patient into surgery. Minutes later, he had appeared through the glass sliding doors, a doleful air around him. He had walked slowly to where the two women sat. The pained look he displayed, told it all, both women knew what was coming but they waited to hear the news anyway.

"I'm sorry Ma'am, but your husband died in the elevator. All our attempts to revive him were in vain!" He whispered.

Joyce let the lingering tears drop. Her chin quivered as she tried to talk."I- I need to see him." She held onto Halima's hand and tried to lift herself up. The strained effort seemed too much for her as she had collapsed replicating an all too familiar scene when she clasped her chest and started gasping for air.

Now Halima sat beside Joyce's hospital bed, the shock of losing George had been too much for her and she had suffered a panic attack. Halima had insisted on staying with her until her family arrived. Ryan lay on the couch in the suite and had long fallen asleep. Halima had opted to present her petitions to one she knew as the giver of life. She lay her head on the bed, hands clutched around Joyce's clammy one's. A slight movement caused her to lift her head. Joyce was looking at her, a bright smile on her face.

"You're awake!"

"Yes I am, child. Thanks to your continuous prayer, it seems!"

"No, it's thanks to the Almighty for bringing you back. How are you feeling now?"

"Tired, has my son arrived yet?" She scanned the room eyes landing on Ryan's sleeping form.

"He's an hour out. The nurse said he'd be here at two o'clock. It's one now."

Joyce corked her head in Ryan's direction. "You should take him home." She said.

"I will, as soon as your family arrives."

"You two remind me of George and me when we were younger." She said morosely.

"Am sorry." Halima murmured.

"No, don't be. It's a good thing. Those are good memories. I was a born again Christian then. A devout choir member. I practically lived in church... I miss it." She said wistfully.

"Oh, Joyce. What happened?"

The old woman looked away blinking back the lingering tears. "I met George. He was a vibrant young man with a dream to change the world by building hospitals all around. Hospitals that catered to all people, no mater your social class. I instantly fell in love, with the man as well as his dream. The only problem was George didn't know Christ. Unfortunately, instead of me setting a good example that attracted him to Christ, I  found myself being pulled to the other side. George wasn't a bad person, he had a noble course. I found myself debating on the repercussions of dating him. My Christian side lost. I haven't been able to pray since then." She blinked furiously trying to contain the tears.

Halima reached for a box of tissue and handed them to her. "You backslid?" She whispered.

Joyce nodded slowly as soft sobs overtook her body. Halima's heart broke for the prodigal child in her presence. She was quiet for a long time wondering what she could do to help, then it dawned on her. "Do you wish to come back?" She asked before she could talk herself out of it.

"Oh honey, I believe its too late for me now. Am at the end of my rope, I don't have long to live and I purposefully chose to lead a sinful life. Why would He accept me back? I don't deserve His mercy." She said amidst a fresh wave of sobs.

Halima silently watched her, as the story of the prodigal son kept replaying itself in her head as if on a loop. She reached for her handbag and pulled out her phone. Unlocking it, she made her way to Luke 15:11 and started reading the story of the prodigal son aloud. When she had finished, Jenifer's sobs had quieted and she was listening intently.

"You are merely a prodigal son. A lost son but a son non the less. If you come back to your father, he will receive you with open arms. Just ask him from the depth of your heart to forgive you, acknowledge that Jesus is Lord and that God raised him from the dead. Just like the father in the story, God longs for your return." She placed her phone down and reached for Joyce's hands. "Would you wish for me to pray with you?" The old woman gave a determined nod. Halima offered a prayer heavenward. A warm feeling encased the two women as they bore their souls to their heavenly father. After a few minutes of silent worship, Joyce leaned back a joyful air around her. Halima felt her Father's presence that day and it filled her with so much joy that He had used her to bring someone back to Him.

"Thank you, Halima. You are so lucky to have found a God fearing man." She whispered.

Halima shook her head, slowly.

"He is not born again?" Asked Joyce, a worried look crossing her face.

"Not yet." She whispered.

Joyce exhaled slowly. "I can tell you by the way he looks at you, he is here for the long haul. Just pray for him and make sure that unlike me, you are the one to do the influencing, alright child?"

Halima nodded and was about to say something when the door burst open and a worry stricken middle-aged man rushed into the room.

"Mom, are you okay?" What happened?" He asked moving towards Joyce's bed.

A gentle hand nudged Halima's shoulder. She looked up to see a smiling Ryan. "Time to go babe." He whispered as more family members piled into the room. Halima stood up and quickly glanced at Joyce who flashed her a warm smile and mouthed a 'thank you'. Halima smiled back and allowed herself to be lead out of the room.

"Am sorry our date didn't turn out as I had initially planned," Ryan said placing an arm around her shoulder.

"It's okay, some things are beyond our control."

"So do you think I can find an open bookshop anywhere at this hour?" He asked pushing open the exit doors.

"A bookshop? Not at this hour, no. Maybe tomorrow morning. Why?" She yawned, the day's fatigue finally catching onto her.

Ryan waited until they were safely inside the limo. "I think its about time I got myself a bible."

Halima's startled look initiated a round of giggles from him. "I may have overheard your conversation with Joyce and may also have experienced this weird warmth like presence when you were praying. Color me curious!" He said suddenly becoming serious, his gaze lost out into the night.