CHAPTER 16

The two days that followed after Ryan's confession were the longest forty-eight hours he'd ever lived through. All he wanted was to cement that confession with a lengthy make-out session, but he was afraid he'd already pushed too far. He resolved to carry on as though all was normal.

Halima's demeanor towards him changed. She seemed to withdraw and hold back during conversations. Ryan caught her staring absently into space on several occasions. Whenever he tried to get her to open up, she gave him a blinding smile that awoke his ever-growing desire for her.

One day as they drove back to the refugee camp, she was unbearably fidgety. "Are you okay?" He asked finally, as he drove into the MSF compound.

Halima's let out a shaky sigh. She mumbled something then cast her gaze past her open window.

Ryan turned off the engine, unbuckled his belt and after alighting, he made his way to her side. "Halima, what's the problem?" His tone was gravely low.

Her eyelids fluttered open and she beheld the concern etched in his. " I love you." She whispered.

Ryan's heart skipped a beat as those three fateful words settled in his depth. Had she said them with joy, he would have been screaming at the top of his lungs. The anguished look she gave him now, caused him to bury his celebratory mood. "Does that make you sad?" He asked leaning against the door.

"I don't know, I am confused. I've never felt so deeply for anyone. Whenever you are gone all I think about is you. When you are with me I just want to give in to that desire I see burning in your eyes. If for some reason we got separated, I don't think I could handle it! I have never felt so vulnerable with anyone. And that alone scares me." She said as a tear streamed down her cheek.

Ryan stretched out his hand and caught the sparkling drop before it disappeared. "I am not going anywhere." He whispered cupping her cheek in his hand. She closed her eyes leaning into his touch.

"You can't promise me that." She said as more tears escaped their hidden confinement.

"No, I can't. But I can promise to make the best of my time with you...I intend for that to be the rest of my life by the way!" He said matter of factly. "Please stop crying."  He reached in and pulled open the door. Once the obstacle was out of the way, he pulled her into his arms, letting her head rest on his chest. "Oh, baby, I am here to stay. In your arms is where I belong." He whispered into her unruly hair.

A few moments passed without any of them saying a word. Halima pulled out of the embrace and looked into his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For ruining this moment for you..."

"No, it's okay."

"It's not, and my worries stole the joy from the moment. You can go ahead and scream your head off..." She grinned. "I'm okay and I'm happy to be in love, with you my darling." She said a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

He held out a hand for her to take. Halima gave him a questioning glare. Ryan nodded, encouraging her to take it. She obliged and was led out of the jeep. Once on level ground, he went down on one knee. Halima gasped at the sudden gesture.

"Halima Sintamei, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked a bright smile coloring his handsome features.

A hearty laugh escaped her lungs, cutting through the silent night.  "I think we already crossed that line, you dummy!" She said amidst giggles.

"Really?" He picked himself from the rough gravel. "Then can I please kiss my girlfriend?" 

"Yes, you may." Said Halima, the husk in her tone matching his desire.

*********

The ground shuttering kiss they had shared the previous night still made Halima weak in the knees. A permanent smile had formed on her countenance, as all her thoughts kept going back to him.

A continuous trill roused her from her daydream. She glanced at her vibrating cell. A message from Fatima lit the screen.

"Mum needs to see both of us soon. When can you make it into the city?"

Halima pulled into her apartment parking lot and typed a quick reply.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, she just said she wants to talk to us. That we both have to be there " came the quick reply.

"Are you sure there's nothing wrong?" Uncertainty rose within Halima.

"Certain, I'd tell you if something was up. I saw her during lunch today. She's fine. So when can you come over?"

Letting out a sigh of relief, she typed the reply, "next weekend but one. Joe and I have some business in town. I'll be in touch." Bye, sis.

"See you then, bye."

Shoving the cellphone in her handbag, Halima alighted and made her way into her apartment. The smell that filled her nostrils as she pushed the front door, signified the doctor turned chef was busy at work.  She made her way into the kitchen where Ryan was busy cleaning up.

"Hey, babe." She said leaning against the doorframe.

Ryan turned around eyes gleaming with excitement. "Hey, babe. You are home late..." He wrapped her in his arms.

"I needed to get something after work." She pulled out a package from her handbag. "Here."

"You got me a present..." Ryan said ripping the package apart. "A smartphone!" He chuckled. "I definitely need one! Thanks, babe."

"You are welcome. Plus now we can continue our new tradition unhindered." She said thinking back to their new routine. After the day he'd gotten that beat down, he approached cases differently. Now, before every surgery, he would call her and she would pray with him. It pleased Halima that he finally recognized the help of her God.

"Yes we can, he leaned in capturing her lips with his." A few passionate minutes passed and he pulled away, groaning. "I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too."

"I Will never tire hearing you  say that." He pulled her snug into him once more. "I have a surprise for you too... I was invited to speak at a conference in Nakuru, they want to hear about the Garrissa Rash Epidemic. It's this coming weekend. Will you go with me?"

Halima pulled back just enough to see his face. "The grand health conference in Nakuru?" She asked.

"Yes, Gwen got us an invite somehow. She told me this morning."

"Oh, so she's going too?"

"Yes, and that's why I want you to come with me. I would like to share my findings at such a platform but not if it means you and I are not okay."

"I am not threatened by her, babe. You made your choice and I trust you are good for it."

"That's the thing though, I don't think she has accepted my choice yet. I need to make it clear that you are my choice."

"I don't know if I can get leave out of work."

" Already taken care of. Dr. Munene gave you the weekend off." His face lit up.

"Oh dear, you thought of everything." She gasped in feigned surprise.

"You have no idea. While in Nakuru, you and I will go on our very first proper date... prepare to pampered."

"Oooh, now I'm excited..." Her stomach rumbled reminding her of a recurring need. "It smells divine in here. What did you make me?"

"Lasagna." He beamed, pulled away and made his way to the lit oven. Where he proceeded to serve the meal.