CHAPTER 10

"Wow, that is some story, hats off for walking away from a throne!" Halima bowed slightly to the amused doctor after he had finished narrating his royal tale.

"Thank you, my Lady!" He bowed back," I think you two would hit it off."

"Really? She sounds awesome. I would love to meet her one day," she smiled wistfully.

"Do you want to meet her now?" He beamed, his smile lighting his eyes as an idea formed in his head.

"Meet her? Don't toy with me, Dr. Mitchell!"

"Am serious, but not physically, I'm sure she's still online, let me check." He pulled out the laptop from his bag and then turned it on. "See she's calling now!" He said as a call came through.

"Ryan Alexander Mitchell! Where have you been? I have been calling for hours!" Princess Diamonique's anguished tone filled the room.

"Why? What's going on?" He sat up perplexed.

"Oh just the fact that you missed our regular call time without a text or explanation why. I thought something happened to you!" She moped.

"Am sorry Nika, I have had a really tough day, it slipped my mind." Remorse flashed in his hazel orbs causing her heart to tighten with guilt.

"Oh, Ryan did you lose a patient?" Her countenance darkened with shame at how selfish she had sounded, whining about a missed call while he was dealing with death or life situations.

"Yeah, I lost two patients today." He let out a breathy sigh causing the princess to look away as a lump started forming in her throat.

"Ryan I'm so sorry, I know how those get to you," she managed, blinking back a layer of moisture from her blue eyes.

"Yeah they do but today was different, I had a great company, I'm alright Nika, get rid of those tears," he smiled hoping to ease her worry.

"Whose company?" She quickly snatched the opportunity at the subject change," the nurse or Gwen?"

"Take a guess!" He simpered.

"Well knowing how slow you've been lately I'm going to go with a safe one and say, Gwen! You know, I have already talked to her today. I called Joe looking for you and guess who was his house guest? Miss long blonde hair in tiny shorts! Ah! I really wanted to hate her Ryan but the woman is gorgeous and horribly nice!" She sneered making him roar with laughter.

"I am aware of what she looks like Nika, so did you guys talk?"

"I hung up before she could throw in more questions, I didn't even get to talk to Joe!" She sulked.

"What if I told you that I can top his introduction?" He eyed a glowing Halima who had been intently listening to their conversation.

"How? Are you going to introduce me to Santa?" Halima's body vibrated as she giggled silently.

"No better!"

"Ooh, Bigfoot?" She gasped.

"Nika!" said Ryan, amusement evident in his tone.

"Alright, I'll stop, wow me!"

"Princess Diamonique Lianette Montreal IV, meet my friend and colleague Halima Sintamei!" He turned the laptop so it was now facing a rose cheeked Halima. Squeals filled the room as the princess came face to face, with the popular nurse who was now in a fit of giggles at the princess's reaction.

"Oh, Ryan she so pretty! I love your hair nurse Halima."

"Just call me Halima, your highness."

"Oh honey there is nothing high about me, just call me Diamonique or Lynn. I loooove your accent!"

"Thank you, I love yours too," drawled Halima a wide grin still etched on her face.

"It's so nice to finally meet you, I've heard so much about you."

"Good stuff I hope," Halima arched a neatly shaped brow.

"Only the best, these guys are smitten with you!" She raised her voice a notch high so all occupants of the room would hear her.

"Nika!" Warned Ryan as Halima threw her head back in a bout of laughter.

"What? You know it's true!" Retorted the princess clearly enjoying having the upper hand.

"Ah! This was a bad idea, goodnight Nika!"

"You wouldn't dare, after all the hours I waited for your call, which by the way reminds me, what time is it over there?"

"A little after two am!" said Halima after glancing at her wrist watch.

"Mhm, are my eyes playing tricks on me or are you in your pajamas, Halima?" She narrowed her eyes, moving closer to the screen.

"Ah geez! This is bad, so bad!" mumbled Ryan.

"Uhm, I am." Said the oblivious nurse as the doctor sunk deeper in his chair hoping to magically disappear into thin air.

"Oh my goodness Ryan!" The princess drawled, "Forgive me for calling you slow! That was swift my friend!"

"Oh kill me! Kill me now!" He sank deeper in his chair still hoping for the magical miracle of teleportation...no such luck!

"Joe was right, now I owe him a hundred bucks!" Continued the princess as Ryan fought hard to avoid Halima's blank stare.

"Uhm, I'm sorry I don't follow," Halima caught the doctor's glance as he quickly turned the laptop to face him. He was no longer listening to the rumbling blonde who seemed lost in her own world, of how cute the nurse and doctor would look together.

"Good. Night. Diamonique!" He slammed the silver gadget shut

"Uhm, did she just assume..." asked Halima as she sought the doctor's reddened countenance for clarification.

"Am so sorry, I shouldn't have called her!" He managed after steadying his hoarse tone.

"Wait, so she just concluded that you and I-" she paused as her cheeks matched his rosy ones, the full realization dawning on her.

"Ah, yes. Am so sorry, she can be quite eccentric!"

"For a princess?" The nurse chuckled.

"No, for a human being!" His hearty laughter joined in with hers easing the awkward moment.

"You two deeply care for each other. It is evident in your conversation." She managed once the laughter had subsided.

"Yes we do, but not in that way."

"Oh, I see. She's amazing though, I love her."

"I knew you would," he held her glowing gaze for a moment unable to look away.

"Uhm, it's getting late," she whispered holding his gaze.

"Yeah, I should probably go," he looked away for a split second but when he looked at her again, her eyes were no longer on him. He sighed and slowly packed his bag, lifting himself from his seat, he made his way to the door.

"Goodnight Halima,"

"Goodnight doc."

"It's Ryan, you can call me Ryan," he smiled stepping over the threshold. He turned to make his way down the deserted chilly hallway when her last goodnight filled the small room.

"Goodnight, Ryan".