Awkward Situations

Start from the beginning

"Avery please answer me," I begged as I sniffed the air as I tried to pick out his scents from his littermates. However I couldn't since they spent so much time together their scents smelled the same. Once they spent more time apart like at school they would each take own their own individual scents but until then I couldn't pick his scent out of the other pups.

"I'm right here momma," Avery yipped and it came from behind me.

I spiraled around and lashed my tail. "Avery this isn't a time for games," I scolded as I looked around madly. "Now come out."

"I'm right here," Avery barked but I still couldn't see him.

Thyme suddenly shot forward and leaped against the wall. I heard a yelp and Avery rolled forward. However I realized that he was the exact color of the walls and that was why we couldn't see him. Now he turned into the color of the floor. Thyme gasped in shock and leaped back.

I surged forward and leaped in front of Thyme and looked down on Avery. His pelt suddenly turned back to the black and red that it usually was. He gasped and looked up at me with round eyes. "Momma what just happened?"

Bobby straightened and crossed his arms. "Looks like we have another mutant," he whispered in Rogue's ear.

I felt my fur spike and I let out a low growl. I nudged Avery to his paws and sighed heavily. "Come on pups it's time for us to go."

Bobby rushed to the door to stop us. "Wait. Wait. You just learned that your pup is a mutant and you don't care."

I bared my teeth in the beginning of a snarl and shoved my ears forward. "Just let us pass," I hissed. "I need to deal with this alone!"

Bobby shrugged before Rogue tugged him aside and I dipped my head thankfully. I pushed myself out of the room with my pups following. They were stiff in terror and I knew that Bobby had scared them by saying that they were mutants.

"Momma Avery isn't a mutant, is he," asked Murk as she looked up at me with wild eyes.

"He is but a mutant isn't anything to be afraid of," I assured them as I turned toward our room. I pushed myself in with my pups trailing. I nudged them each toward their nests and plastered my ears against my head.

"Momma are we all mutants," asked Murk as she leaned forward with her tail tip brushing the ground.

I lowered my head and touched my nose to hers. "We don't know yet," I confessed as I looked at all of them sternly. "However there is a good possibility."

Avery looked to Thyme and I realized that she was talking to him. I was wondering if she was going to tell her brother about her own mutant power. That might make him clam down a bit.

"Are all of the people and wolves here mutants," inquired Reed as he lashed his tail.

I nodded slowly. "Yes everyone here is a mutant. Here they teach you how to control your powers and use them for the greater good. This is the best place for mutants to be and you will soon understand that once you actually start school."

Avery suddenly pushed forward and suddenly spread a wing. "Then what are these? I mean how do you use them?"

The other pups murmured in agreement and I let my shoulders slump. "You're right. I should tell you." I spread one of my own wings. "These wings are also what makes us so special. We can all fly."

"But we don't know how," complained Thyme as she narrowed her eyes. "We didn't know we were going to have powers either. Why didn't you tell us?"

"Because there never was a right time," I muttered as I swore under my breath. "I know it was wrong not to tell you but your father and I agreed to wait."