Chapter XI

Morris
I sit at the table correcting homework as my wife, Darlene, cooks dinner. She's an okay cook. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's bad. Sometimes it's eh.

"How was your day, baby?" She asks me from the stove.

"It was okay. Same ole', same ole'. Y'know?" I reply trying to focus on what I'm doing.

"Well my day was pretty good. Hospital was it usually crazy self, but I'm used to that."

"Mmm. I know you are." I reply.

I finish grading the paper and flip to the next one. Fallon's. I gulp as my mind rewinds to the sex we had. Shit was fire, and I'd do it again. But, I know it's not right. It's not fair to Darlene. It's quiet the rest of the time as Darlene cooks. She turns on some music in the kitchen and sings along to mask the silence.

One by one, she sets the table with the dinner. Baked Mac and cheese. Sautéed vegetables. Grilled shrimp and lobster. Rice. It actually looks as good as it smells. I put the work aside to prepare to eat.

"This looks great babe," I compliment as she sits down on the other side of the table.

I hope it tastes as good as it smells. She smiles.

"Thank you baby. I found some recipes I wanted to try while I was on break at work. I knew you'd like it."

I nod. Darlene does a quick prayer for the food and we begin to serve ourselves. I need to tell her. Darlene talks on and on about work and life. She never shuts up.

"I slept with another woman." I blurt out as she talks.

She stares at me with a confused look. Her face softens as she thinks of words to say.

"It was the girl from Victoria's Secret, wasn't it." She states more than asks.

"Yes, it was. It was one time."

Darlene looks down at her hands. I know she's crying because she wipes her face.

"I'm sorry." I apologize pathetically.

I feel guilty honestly. Darlene is a good woman, but like I said before, I've lost attraction. There's no excitement.

"D-do you love her?" She asks with a shaky voice.

I hesitate before answering. Making love to Fallon was something else. I felt alive again.

"I don't know. It's too early for that." I respond,"But I just felt you needed to know."

She looks up at me with sadness in her eyes.

"Morris, I gave you everything. I moved to this damn city because you got a damn job here! Not once did I complain. I'm sorry that I can't give you the damn kids you wanted, but this, this is..." her voice cracks at "this is" and she shakes her head at a loss of words.

"Why don't you love me anymore?" She asks.

"Who told you that I don't love you anymore?" I ask.

"Cut the bullshit, Morris! You don't look at me or talk to me the same way. The lovemaking is mechanical. I'm not dumb!" She yells at me.

Her face is red in anger and frustration. Instead of pissing her off some more, I tell her what she needs to hear.

"Okay. Calm down, Darlene...I'm not in love with you, but I still love you, baby."

She pushes her chair out and stands up abruptly. Striding over to my side of the table, Darlene's hand makes harsh contact with my face. The slap doesn't shock me.

"Of all the people to fuck, you chose a student. Isn't that shit illegal?"

"We're two grown adults. It was one time." I repeat again.

"I can't stand to look at you," She shakes her head with tears coming out her eyes again.

Her body trembles as she holds onto a chair to collect herself.

"I'm going to my sister's. I can't do this anymore."

"Dar-"

"Shut the fuck up! You can't say anything to me to make me stay."

I wasn't trying to I think to myself. She leaves me at the dining room table and heads upstairs to get her things. Getting up from the table, I walk to the front door and wait for her to come down. Darlene finally comes out of the room with a duffle bag and her purse and a look of pure disgust when she sees me.

"When will you be back?" I ask her while she reaches for the door handle.

"When I'm ready." She states and walks out the door.