Chapter IX

Michael- Three Days Later
I jump awake at the sound of my alarm. The morning sunlight that hits my room hurts my eyes. My head is throbbing as I groan and turn over into my pillow. I went to the bar last night for a drink and went overboard. Came home drunk and somehow managed to make it to my bedroom.

I definitely can't go to work with a hangover. Clumsily grabbing my phone, I call in sick to work. Now I gotta get Imani up and ready for school. Damn! I stumble out of bed and walk into my bathroom. I take a glance at my face and I am disgusted but not surprised at my bloodshot eyes.

I open my mirror and grab the clear eyes eye drops. These should do the trick. Just then, my bedroom door opens as I put away the eye drops.

"Daddy," Imani says,"I'm gonna be late for school!"

"I know baby girl. You ready?" I ask while brushing my teeth and turning to look at her dressed in her school uniform.

Only thing not done is her hair. Fallon usually did it, but now she's gone so I have to.

"My hair isn't ready." She states while pointing to her hair

"Didn't I tell you to try to make your hairstyles last longer? I don't have time to do it every day," I begin to lecture,"I don't know how you come home from school with your hair undone and barrettes missing."

She shrugs,"I don't know. Magic?"

I chuckle and shake my head.

"Quick, let's go to your room and do your hair."

Imani runs out of the room to hers as I trail behind. In there, I quickly throw her hair in a puff and call it a day. I check my phone for the time. 8:43! She starts school at 9.

"No time for breakfast here. I'll buy you something on the way."

She folds her arms and pouts.

"If mommy was here, there would've been time for breakfast." She grumbles, throwing mad shade at me.

"No back talk this morning. Get your stuff and go downstairs."

She grabs her backpack and stomps out the door. I take a couple of deep breaths to control my temper. Imani doesn't know that Fallon and I broke up yet. I told her that Fallon went on a quick trip to see her family to make up for the time missing. Sooner or later, she's gonna know something's wrong.

On the ride there, I buy her Wendy's to make her happy. Fallon would scream if she found out I was feeding Imani this junk, but I can't do anything about it. After dropping her off, I race back home and hop into bed again.

"Study session? 👀" Kylie texts me as I play solitaire.

"Sure. When are you free?" I text back.

Guess this will keep my mind off things for a little bit.

"How about tonight if that works."

Damn bitch.... I guess.

"Okay. 7?"

"That's perfect. Where should we meet up?"

"My house....I don't feel like dragging my 8 year old to a library. She'll get fussy lol."

"Okay then 😂 just send me your address and I'll see you later!"

"No problem."

Fallon
"What the hell is your issue girl?! You acting real weird." Paige asks me as we sit in the school's library studying.

I shake my head and sigh.

"It's....difficult. I did something so...stupid." My voice cracking at stupid.