Chapter V

Michael- One Week Later
Fallon has been acting weird lately. Lance marches into my office unannounced with a grin on his face. We've actually became boys over the year despite some rough patches. He sits on the edge of my desk.

"Hear this," he begins,"Frank got the promotion."

I raise an eyebrow. Frank is this white dude that just started working at the firm two months ago. How the hell did he get a promotion so quick?

"Probably was on his knees the whole fxcking time." I shake my head with a smirk.

Lance laughs and slaps my back,"Right. Shit was too quick. How many cases has Frank dealt with to even deserve a damn promotion?!"

"I'm telling you. This place is letting the new guys get shit way too easy. Just last week, fucking Jose got a damn raise. Jose for pete's sake!" I exclaim.

Jose also just got hired about two months ago.

"What we gonna do, man?" Lance asks.

"Nothing. As long as they don't fxck us over than I don't care." I shrug.

Lance nods while looking at his phone. He lets out a sigh.

"Kristy wants to know if you, Fallon, and Imani wanna come over for dinner on Sunday after church."

"Whatever." I say while checking my phone for any texts from Fallon. None.

"Yo man. What's up with you? You seem a little off,"Lance finally asks,"Everything alright?"

"Fallon has been blowing me off for the past week and I don't know why."

"Just go to her place and ask what's up. It's probably nothing big. You know how females are with their petty shit. They expect you to read their minds." Lance chuckles.

"Yeah. I'll force it out of her. We're getting married in less than two months and she can't just do this."

"For a lifetime of pettiness."

"Man, shut up. Marriage is more than that." I reply

"Well, I should know." He answers,"So y'all coming or not? Kristy is getting on my nerves."

He's growing impatient as he types viciously on his phone.

"I'll give you an answer after I talk to Fallon later today. Chill."

Fallon
"Oh girl. What?!" Gabrielle nearly spits out her drink.

We're hanging out at her house. Her husband is out at work and her three step-sons sons, Zaire, Zion, and Dahveon, are playing in the living room.

"Yeah. He nearly kissed me."

"I knew he was off. Disgusting." Her face scrunches up,"Low-down."

I nod and sigh. It sucks that I let what he said to me get to my head.

"You tell Michael?" Gabrielle asks setting her drink down and looking at me waiting for a response.

I shake my head,"No. I don't want him to start going crazy. I'm still taking his class, ya know."

"So what?! Report him for sexual harassment!" She exclaims.