Chapter 7

The crew departed early the next morning, they had spent all afternoon and evening the day before preparing and organizing everything they would need to survive the winter. Marcus held true to his word, anything they needed was given to them. They were even given proper clothing with Marcus’s house colors, so no one would question their legitimacy, and the cloaks and gloves that were given to them were all lined with deer fur to help keep them warm. Three pack mules trailed after them as they left the town, all heavy laden with extra supplies.

                Marcus made it clear to Reed that they were to tell no one of their business or where they were going. When he came to see them off Jade over heard him speaking about it to Reed. “I want you to find somewhere in the mountains to set up camp. Don’t tell anyone where you settle, and if you go into a town for supplies, make sure no one follows you. If these wrong doers have spies, I want to be sure that they don’t plan on slitting all of your throats while you sleep. You all are my secret dagger.”

                Reed had nodded his head. “You’ve nothing to worry about, we’ll all watch after each other.” Marcus had then shook Reed’s hand and wished them all a safe journey and mild winter.

                The crew spoke little as they made their way towards the mountains. Jade watched as Yates pulled out and studied his folded map on the back of his horse. It would only take them two days to reach the mountains, there they would scour the area and find a suitable place to set up camp for the summer. Jade rode behind the group and the mules, her eyes scanned from under her hood. It was obvious these people survived mostly on their life with sheep, though the sheep were a different bread that what Jade had seen before. The males had large thick tightly curled horns and a flatter face.

                By the time a couple of hours passed Jade couldn’t take the pace any longer. She tightened her knees against Chance and the horse picked up her pace, passing the other mules and horses. Jade stopped when she reached Reed at the front.

                “Can I talk with you?” she asked.

                Reed nodded his head and yawned, it seemed he was tired of the slow pace as well.

                “Why don’t I go on ahead and scout us out a safe route and a place to set up camp in the mountains?”

                Reed looked behind him at the men and three mules then nodded his head. “Very well, go on ahead and leave us a trail to follow. Make sure you aren’t followed and don’t make it terribly obvious otherwise anyone could find their way to you. There’s a small village before you get to the mountains, pass through there and then leave us behind a trail so we know when to start looking.” Jade nodded her head. She was glad for the task, glad to have the opportunity to break free and ride.

                She swung onto to Chance and the mare sensed her excitement and danced forward. Once on the road Jade gave her the reigns and she shot forward, snorted hot hair from her nose and pawed the earth with her hooves. Jade couldn’t remember the last time they had ridden this way. She threw the hood back from her face and relished the in cold air that bit at her exposed skin. She breathed it deep into her lungs and laughed.

                 A few miles down the road and Jade pulled her into a more reasonable pace, but still let her run. Jade didn’t stop until she reached the village at the base of the mountains. When she finally arrived it was late afternoon. She passed through the village, and stopped at a small general store to buy a map and  a wool covering for her saddle. She decided the purchase would be beneficial through the winter to keeping her rear end warmer.