O N E

They're gone. They're all gone and I will never get them back.

"Sandy! Sandy, are you listening to me?" Aris asks, breaking me from my daze.

I look up from my food tray, my eyes moving directly to his. They're even more exhausted than ever. He must've been sneaking last night.

"Yes Aris, I am." I roll my eyes, moving them back to my tray as I poke at my dry chicken cutlet.

I should've gone with them. They knew this place was unsafe, but I didn't listen. I never listen. Even now I'm still having my doubts about this place being evil. But that's what happens when you were in a giant maze for almost three years against your will.

It's what happens when you watch the only family you can remember having die at the hands of a dozen Stingers.

When we were finally free, they brought us here, to this compound. And the first few nights it was amazing. We were all together, away from any kind of danger. But then they started to call us one by one until it was just Aris and I left.

None of the other girls came back.

Ever.

And when Sonya and Harriet decided to escape, they begged me to go with them. I told them they were crazy, that they were just having reactions to our trauma. But I'm starting to think they weren't so wrong.

"Sandy! You keep zoning out on me!" Aris says, his southern accent getting thicker with every word.

I look up at him and maintain eye contact this time. "Sorry, Aris. I just," A sigh releases from my lips. "I haven't been feeling like myself lately," I tell him, putting my fork down and lacing my fingers together, resting my hands on the table.

"What I've been trying to tell you is," he lowers his voice as he looks around to make sure no one is listening. "I think it's time we broke out. I found someone yesterday who I think could help with that."

His eyes move away from mine. I follow his gaze to a group of boys, five in total. There's one in particular that catches my eye. He's tall with really nice hair, his eyes a deep brown. He's lean but has the look of a Mapper, his arms strong. A smile automatically forms on my lips, a feeling beginning to burn in my chest.

It's almost a sense of familiarity. One that I don't think I've had in a very long time.

"They seem trustworthy enough," I smirk, my eyes moving back to Aris. "But how do you know you can trust them to not fold at the first sign of trouble?"

Aris quickly looks around, his eyes moving to mine. "Thomas and I went through the vents last night while everyone was sleeping," He pauses, taking a deep breath. "We saw a couple of doctors rolling in five or six tables. Each one had a covered body on it. We don't exactly know if they were dead or alive." He looks over at Thomas's table his eyes brightening up.

A full-blown smile grows on his lips as he looks back at me. "We can do this San, we need to. These people aren't who they say they are."

Aris opens his mouth to say something else when a commotion breaks out by the doors to the cafeteria, drawing both of our attention to it.

The boy I'm assuming is Thomas begins fighting with one of the guards. He shoves hard on his shoulders, trying to get through the doors. The rest of the boys rush over to them and try to pull Thomas back, the guard growing annoyed. A blond boy struggles to hold him, his right leg seeming to restrict him from some movements.

Janson pushes through the doors, an annoyed glare on his face as he shoves through the guards and pushes them out of his way. He straightens his shirt, looking at the boys, confusion replacing annoyance.