Chapter 2 - Boundaries

Author's Note; . Thanks again to everyone who's been sending me messages about the fic. Remember messages = chapters. 

WARNING; This story contains remnants that have to do with mental illness as well as sensitive subjects. Some of the themes in this story as the chapters progress, will contain some mature themes.

"I was just trying to get some pictures." I lied while dangling my camera off my shoulder as some form of visual proof. It aided in my lie significantly and I felt myself growing more and more grateful to my second sense that told me to bring it in the first place.

His arms folded across his chest and his eyes raked over my frame as if he were appraising me. "Pay attention to the boundaries, we ain't keen on people getting lost out here." He ordered. I could feel my eyebrow raise in offense because I wasn't some brainless kid or a poor direction keeping school girl, I knew my way around a trail.

"Will do." I answered simply before rolling my eyes as he walked away. Jesus, who pee'd in his cherrios? Weren't camp counselors supposed to be kind? asshole. I huffed out an annoyed chuckle before turning back to the camp only to find Jake waving me down from a distance. He resembled a stylishly dressed rag doll the way he flailed in the distance.

"Hey loner girl." He spoke and although his voice was friendly, his greeting still irritated me to no end.

"Hey guy who never has friends when I see him." I responded. His neck flexed back slightly before he smiled a goofy smile.

"Ouch." he answered simply and even though he shrugged off my insult I could tell he was genuinely displeased by my response. He closed the gap between us swiftly before slipping his hands into the front pockets of his pants. The small look of distain on his face affected me in ways that I didn't expect it to, and I slowly found myself feeling sorry for hurting his feelings. A sigh left my lips as I straightened my posture and rested my hand on the side of his shoulder.

"Sorry, I suck with people ...... and anything that remotely resembles kindness." I shrugged while plastering a fake smile on my lips. It was the first truth I had told since I joined the camp and the sound of it seemed to make him feel better.

"No worries, as your friendly neighborhood camp counselor, I can help with that." He smiled while placing a hand behind his head nervously. What was he, Spiderman?

"You're a CAMP COUNSELOR?" I questioned and the disbelief on my behalf caused him to raise a brow. His hand draped gently around the backs of my shoulder before he began leading me back to the crowd of other campers at the official site.

"I'm offended by your tone." His tone was sarcastic, but his smile remained true. Getting back to the camp was a short walk especially since I couldn't go as far as I wanted to begin with, but I still felt myself get more and more irritated by the fact that my plan was ruined.

"I got some other people to help get to their designated section, but it shouldn't take long. I'll come find you to help you put up your tent later if you want?" His face inched to the side as he offered as if waiting for my approval, but all I could do was shrug. I wasn't good with putting up tents and I wasn't remotely fit enough to participate in the rock climbing activities. Sure, I was slightly lanky and sticking to a trail was easy as pie, but actual climbing wasn't in my case of expertise. I was just a sucker for a breath taking view and I knew more than anything that this place was full of them if you knew where to look.