Chapter 18

I nodded to provide a simple acknowledgment that I didn't really want to send Daniel away. It was a pathetically lacking gesture that completely failed to convey my intense feelings for him, but it evidently did the trick. The relieved, beaming smile that spread across my angel's features would have knocked my socks off, if I had been wearing any.

By silent mutual agreement, Daniel scooted back into his place beside me on the bed. I closed my eyes as my body tingled with the excitement of his nearness, and I decided that I would never tire of that delectable sensation.

Evidently wanting to move the topic away from damnation and potential fiery punishments as much I as I did, Daniel hinted, "There's something I've always wondered about you."

My eyes remained closed as I savored our zinging connection, but I responded, "I can't imagine what you don't already know about me, since you've been by my side my entire life, but ask away."

Accepting my invitation and angling to face me, Daniel said, "I've been there for everything, but I haven't been allowed to ask about your thoughts and feelings about what was happening in your life. I'm always curious about what is happening inside that brilliant mind of yours."

I scoffed at his insinuation that I was brilliant, even as I basked in the realization that he cared about my perspective.

Ignoring my snort, he said, "I hate it that your father's life was taken at such an early age." I nodded my agreement, wishing that I had been able to spend more time with my dad. "In what ways do you feel you've been affected by growing up without him in your life?"

It was a deep question. I had expected him to ask something about my aura visions or my feelings for Trent. "Oh, umm." I brushed my hair behind my ear and stalled. "That's a good question." It was a great question... one that I hadn't really ever considered, although I should have. It was the kind of thoughtful and insightful inquiry that someone who truly cared about your answer would ask.

Daniel was staring at me intently, obviously anxious to hear what I had to say about the matter of my father. My mind scrambled for a worthy answer, but everything I came up with sounded lame or clichéd. Finally, I just jumped in and let my jumbled thoughts ramble out. "I guess I wonder what he would think of me and what he would say to me. I am curious about what fatherly advice he would have for me and if he would be proud of me."

"How could he not be?" Daniel asked me, sounding honestly perplexed.

It dawned on me then that my guardian angel probably knew quite a bit about how all of this worked. I wasn't sure how much he would be permitted to tell me, but I had to at least try. "Is he in Heaven? Can he see me? Does he watch what is going on in the world? Or has he moved on to a higher existence?" Unable to contain my excitement, I sucked in air. "Is he an angel?"

"One at a time," Daniel chuckled, appearing charmed by my enthusiasm. "Your father is in a better place," he confirmed. My heart swelled with happiness when he added, "And I'm sure he still keeps tabs on you, but no, he's not an angel."

His answers were intentionally vague, but they gave me the comfort I needed. It was obvious that Daniel wasn't allowed to go into a great deal of detail, but he had given me what he could, and that was enough.

I couldn't keep the beaming smile at bay as I thought about my dad watching down over me. It almost felt like finding out I had a second guardian angel by my side. One would think that with so much protection in my corner, I would have been able to avoid the dangers that were currently barreling in my direction.

***Enjoying reading? Please be sure to Vote / Comment / Follow. Thank you!***