Chapter 3

"Really? That's the best you can come up with?" I rolled my eyes at Daniel, not believing for a second that he was anyone's guardian angel, least of all mine.

"Oh, I've been doing a shitty job of it lately. I freely admit that, but that doesn't change the fact that I am indeed your guardian angel." Daniel said flatly.

"Right," I said, my face scrunched up in disbelief. "What kind of angel cusses?" I raised my hands to enunciate the question.

"Apparently, this kind," Daniel answered. "What's wrong with cussing, anyway?" he asked me, seeming perplexed.

"Well, I guess if you were a real angel, you would know, wouldn't you?" I used an aggressive tone to cover the fact that I wasn't totally sure what was wrong with cursing, or if angels were allowed to do so. I couldn't imagine that it was permissible, but I also couldn't put my finger on a precise reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

Daniel stood from his chair and towered over my bedside. I feared that I had gone too far and that he was leaving. Instead, he tilted his head down and said, "I can prove it, but please don't be frightened."

I nodded to confirm that I wanted to see whatever he had to show me, even though a sour mixture of excitement, fear, and anticipation swirled dangerously in my stomach, threatening an upheaval.

Taking a few steps back, Daniel lowered his head. His dark brows slashed downward in concentration. After a few moments, his body jerked as his enormous wings sprang out, nearly spanning the width of the room.

I jumped back, leaning my body to the far edge of my hospital bed, trying to get as far away as possible from the frightening creature. My eyes bulged wide-open, feeling like they might actually pop out of their sockets as they took in the shocking sight before them.

My mind attempted to absorb the sight of the massive feathered wings. They were stunning, with the light reflecting off them in dazzling rays, but they were also so different from anything that I had ever imagined. Licks of bright orange flame seared the outside edges of the feathers, giving them an unfathomable ethereal beauty.

I'm not sure how long I sat there astounded with my mouth hanging open, but it felt like time was frozen.

"You need to breathe," Daniel reminded me.

His words prompted me to release the air that I hadn't even realized I had been holding in my lungs. Once my autonomic nervous system kicked back into gear, I panted several breaths in and out, feeling like I was on the brink of hyperventilating.

"It's okay," Daniel soothed me. "I would never do anything to harm you. In fact, that's the last thing I would ever want."

I nodded, trying to absorb his words, but still in shock over the phenomenal wings that had seemed to spring out directly from his back. Realizing that I wasn't going to be able to string together a cohesive thought while his wings were out and distracting me, I squeaked, "Maybe you could put those away while we talk?"

Daniel's deep laugh echoed around my tiny hospital room, but he obliged with my request. Almost as quickly as they had appeared, his glorious wings snapped back into his body.

*** Tell me what you think! Please VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW. Thank you! ***