Chapter 4

Reclaiming the hard plastic chair at my bedside, Daniel asked, "Is that better?"

I nodded that indeed it was better to have him looking like a super-handsome, almost too-perfect man, rather than a winged god. Not wanting to make him feel bad for sharing his impressive secret with me, I said, "Your wings are beautiful, but they're a little overwhelming for a simple human to see."

"It's a lot to take in," he nodded agreeably, before adding, "But you are anything but simple, Ms. Watson."

I couldn't believe that this heavenly creature would even take the time to look at me, let alone say all of these magnificent words to me. I must have slipped into some alternate universe when the cab hit me. Adding on to that thought, I asked Daniel, "How hard did I hit my head when that car ran me over?"

Daniel tipped his head back and bellowed with laughter. I delighted in the sound of it. He was still grinning at me like I was the most amusing thing he had ever encountered when he finally answered my question. "You did hit your head pretty hard, but I assure you that I am completely real."

As if the universe wanted to prove his point, the door handle to my room turned and a harried-looking nurse with a pinched face rushed in. My eyes darted to Daniel. I tried to tell him with my eyes to turn invisible, so he wouldn't blow his cover.

Daniel responded to my unasked question. "She can't see or hear me."

The efficient, somewhat dowdy nurse didn't even glance in the direction of Daniel's chair, which proved that he must be correct about her inability to see him. No woman in her right mind would be able to ignore the sight of that sexy man... er, angel.

"Hi." I said to the woman, trying to act normal. She held her warm fingers on my wrist, taking a manual pulse, but ignored my attempt to be friendly.

Daniel caught my eye and pointed to his own ears. When I looked back at the nurse, I realized that she had earbud cords trailing down her chest. She was likely listening to music and hadn't heard my greeting.

After checking the monitors and recording a few numbers in my electronic chart on her iPad, the nurse's ugly white rubber shoes squeaked out of my room. I felt a little snubbed by the encounter, so I said to Daniel, "Isn't she Miss Personality? I have my very own Nurse Ratched."

He raised his shoulders, seeming unconcerned by my nurse's lack of bedside manner. "She's probably overworked and underpaid. Besides, I'm sure she's used to having most of her patients sleep through her visits," he justified the woman's behavior.

"I guess," I answered, deciding to take the high road and accept Daniel's explanation for her aloof manner.

One thing that the nurse's visit had accomplished was making things feel normal again between Daniel and me. The fear that Daniel would be outed as an angel by her arrival had made me realize how much I already cared about him and his well-being. The instantaneous flare of envy I felt at her entrance to the room told me that I also wasn't quite ready to share him with anyone else.

The ambience of the tiny room had changed from one that was permeated with my fear to one of easy camaraderie. Wondering if it would now be okay to tease my guardian angel a little, I asked, "So, where were you when I got hit by that cab––gallivanting off somewhere and shirking your responsibilities?" I grinned at him to let him know that I didn't really hold any ill will towards him.

Proving that he had the ability to take my breath away twice in a matter of minutes, Daniel responded. "I was right beside you, but you looked so inconceivably beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off you long enough to notice the danger hurtling in your direction."

My hand went straight to my collarbone. The only inconceivable thing about this entire conversation was that this hunky angel could possibly be attracted to plain, little old me. Daniel's eyes were sparkling with anticipation as he waited for my response. Completely out of my element, but needing to say something, I finally answered, "Well, I guess that's about the best reason imaginable for being a crappy guardian angel."

*** Share what you think! Please VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW. Thank you! ***