Chapter 5: Die

The town wasn't as lively as it usual was. That was due to it being midnight and everyone was at home sleeping. The cold night air made Cuphead jittery as he walked down the street. He needed to find a shop a deep quick before he turned into a cupsicle.

A bright red open sign caught his attention. He sighed in relief and rushed into the convenience store. A woman stood behind the counter reading. Cuphead grabbed a basket and walked down isles, grabbing anything he thinks he or Mugman would need.

Cuphead stopped before a box of cards. He slowly reached out picking it up and examining it. Questions slowly rose up to his mind as processed the nights events.

Going to the casino for whatever reason. Seeing King and speaking one word to him before his friend dragged him away. His friends dragged him all over the casino floor before he decided to leave. Walking down the steps but stopping needing to look up. When he did he was met with bright green eyes that stared right at him. He didn't know why but he waved goodbye, thankfully King waved back.

Cuphead put the cards back on the shelf and moved to the next isle. By the time he was done it was half past midnight. The cashier looked ready to leave so rushed over and placed his things on the counter. The woman smiled and began scanning.

She took in a breath, "by any chance are you Cuphead or Mugman?" The woman asked staring at Cuphead.

He smiled, "I'm Cuphead. Mugman is at home." He said taking out his wallet.

"Oh! Your one of the cups who saved my Hilda!" The woman said as she scanned.

"Your Hilda?"

"Oh yes! My daughter Hilda. The day she came home saying her soul was free. Ah, it was such a pleasant day."

Cuphead thought before asking, "So your Hilda's mother. She spoke of you a lot while she played."

"Ah yes me and my Hilda have a strong bond. I speak a lot about her too. Hohoho!" Her laugh was contagious, just like Hildas.

"Oh excuse me!" She placed the last bag on the counter.

"That'll be fifteen dollars and fifty cents."

Cuphead paid and began gathering the bags, but was suddenly stopped when she placed a hand on his arm.

"Yes?" He spoke cautiously.

"I just want to thank you, for saving my Hilda. So as a thank you have this." She placed a pair of die in a glass container on his hand.

"They are special main land die. They call them Rose Die. They say if you give them to the one you truly love you will be together forever."

The woman smiled wide before waving goodbye and heading to the back. Cuphead stared at the die before shoving the container in his pocket and rushing out the door. The cold air hit him like a truck and he stood frozen before huffing and trudging through the two inch snow.

Cuphead unlocked the front door and entered his home thanking the heavens above for the warmth. He kicked off his shoes before walking to the kitchen. He jumped just a bit at the sight of his brother. He was asleep at the table, clutching the note Cuphead left in his hand.

Cuphead sighed and placed the groceries on the table. This woke his brother with at start.

"Who's there?" Mugman pointed his finger gun at him.

"Mug! Calm down its me! Cuphead!"

Cuphead raised his hands to calm Mugman. Mugman quickly put down his finger gun and rubbed his eyes.

"Oh golly Cup! I almost shot your head off!" Mugman said hugging and crossing his arms.

"Sorry Mugs."

"Where did you go anyway? I know you didn't just go to the shops." Mugman said already putting things away.

It was silent for a moment the only sound being the new snow beginning to fall.

"I went to the casino." Cuphead replied closing the fridge.

"What? Why?"

"I just...I honeslty don't know. I just did. I didn't play though. I was litteraly just dragged all over the place. You can even check my wallet. Everything's still there. Well besides what I spent on the groceries."

Cuphead tossed his wallet to Mugman, who in turn checked it's contents. He knew by memory Cuphead had two hundred always. Now there was only a little less. Good.

Mugman tossed Cuphead back his wallet before throwing away the bags. The house remained quiet after that. The only noise was the snow pounding the roof and the fires crackle.

Cuphead laid on the couch and reached into his pocket retrieving the die. He watched the hot pink glimer in the fires light. Mugman walked over and sat on the chair next to the couch.

"What's that?" Mugman asked.

"A thank you present from Hilda's mother." Cuphead yawned.

Mugman hummed and sipped at his drink of hot cocoa. The silence was pleasant between the two. It was never awkward.

"Hay Cups?"

"Yeah?"

Mugman remained silent for a moment before speaking. "We need to get jobs. By any chance while you were out did you see any help wanted signs?"

Cuphead thought for a moment before shaking his head no. Another moment passed before he sat up fast.

"Wait I did. But it was at the casino." Cuphead said rubbing his head.

Mugman sighed. If they didn't get jobs they wouldn't be able to pay bills or buy food.

"Souppouse we got no choice." Mugman said setting his drink down.

Cuphead nodded agreeing with his brother.