Chapter 2: Back Here

Cuphead laid on his back watching fishes swim by the porthole.

"Cuphead!" He turned his attention to his brother.

"Yeah?"

"You need to pack! We'll be docking in five minutes." Mugman said as he folded the last of his clothes.

Cuphead groaned and stood up throwing his clothes into his suitcases. From the corner of his eye he saw Mugman face palm and look out the porthole.

Silence rang out between the two before Mugman sniffed. "Do you think Elder Kettle was mad at us?"

Cuphead stopped and turned to his younger but taller brother. Cuphead scratched the back of his head.

"No. You saw the letter. He wants us to be there." Mugman nodded at his brothers words.

"Cuphead, Mugman one minute until we dock!" A sailor said before scurrying off to the next room.

Mugman breathed in and out before lifting his backpack and suitcase.

"Ready brother?" Cuphead asked putting on his backpack and picking up his suitcase.

Mugman looked at the porthole once more before turning back to his brother and nodding. Cuphead smiled and started walking to the stairs.

Cuphead opened the door that led to the deck and stepped out. The breeze hit them both making shivers go down their spines. The sun was bright in the cloudless sky and sailors rushed about preparing to dock.

Cuphead looked to his right setting his sights on Inkswell. Mugman did the same and sighed at the sight.

The boat docked and the plank was set down. People who were from the main land all rushed down. Cuphead and Mugman followed the rush of people.

Cuphead set his suitcase down and stared at Inkwell Isle.

"It's been three years Mug. Three long years."

Cuphead heard Mugman hum. "I wonder how everyone is?"

"Cuphead! Mugman!" The two turned just in time to see a talking flower followed by two more coming towards them.

"Cagney!" Cuphead said excitedly at seeing his old friend.

"Theres my favorite cup and mug!" Hilda said floating towards them.

"Hilda! Hi!" Mugman said hugging the woman. Who in turn hugged Mugman just as hard.

"You two got tall as heaven!" Sally said giggling.

"Mugman might just give that King Dice a run for his money!" Cala said as she popped up from the water.

Cuphead froze and turned to Cala. "Dice is still here?" Everyone became silent as Cala spoke.

"Well yeah. The casino is still around. I've been there, Dice is still there. Usually just walkin' around the place." Cala said before pulling Mugman into a hug.

Cuphead bit his lip before putting on a smile. "Well it's what it is!" He said turning to Cagney.

"So where have you boys been? And what brings you back?" Cagney asked crossing his arms.

Cuphead and Mugman's smiles quickly dissapeared. "Elder Kettle sent us a letter and yeah." Mugman said rubbing his arm.

Hilda rubbed their backs. "Boys it's okay. We're here for you!" Hilda said trying to lift their spirits.

Sally smiled and nodded along with Hilda's words.

Cala spoke up, "Wait if you two were away who took care of him?"

Cuphead perked up at that. "In his letter he wrote that a nice man took care of him. Someone we knew, but he didn't say the name."

"Elder Kettle also said that one of the man's friends will be at the house to help us out for awhile." Mugman said picking up his suitcase.

Cagney pat Cuphead's back, "Well if you need us you know where we all will be. Later Cup, Mug." Cagney said patting their backs.

The two received hugs from the girls before they all left. Sally in the direction of he theater. Hilda got on her cloud and floated away. And Cala swam down.

"So Mugs ready to head to the house?"

Mugman took a deep breath and let it out. "Ready as ever Cuphead."

The two started the walk to Elder Kettles house.