Chapter 2

'What is this place?' Mami wondered. She was in the wrecked structure of an abandoned and ancient building. Rubble and stone surrounded her, creating a ring of greyness around her. Clouds loomed menacingly, as a slight rain drizzled down on her.

Slowly, she began to clamber up the mountain of rubble in front of her. Stumbling a little, she reached the top and looked around. Destruction was everywhere. The sky was grey, the sunlight weak and corrupted. There was no movement at all, only the fallen shapes of once magnificent buildings and structures. Rubble and stone, brick and mud, nothing was left intact.

"Hey!" Mami looked down, seeing Kyoko hopping over bits of stone and water, coming towards her. Finally reaching her, she stopped, pulling out an apple to eat.

"This place doesn't look too good, huh?" Kyoko said, taking a bite out of her apple.

"No, but where are we? This can't be Mitakihara City," Mami replied, looking distantly at the derelict view surrounding them. Kyoko shrugged.

"Who knows? All I wanna know is, why am I here? Do you think anyone else is here?"

Mami didn't reply. Instead, she pulled out her soul gem, which glowed faintly, but clearly.

"There are no witches here, which is strange. In a place filled with so much despair, shouldn't there be at least one witch, filled with grief?" Kyoko chewed her apple thoughtfully, considering it. Finally she shrugged.

"Who knows? Maybe there was a witch, but because there is no-one here to eat, it just went somewhere else." Mami nodded, but she still looked doubtful.

"We would have picked up some trace of a witch though," She pointed out. Kyoko paused in mid-bite, thinking. Then she kept eating.

"Well then, there was no witch in the first place."

Mami sighed. Putting back her soul gem, she began to clamber down the mountain of rubble, to the other side.

"Hey, where are you going?" Kyoko called after her, scrambling to catch up.

"To find other people."