cantis

Cantis (CAN-tiss); Causes the victim to burst uncontrollably into song.

Steve Rogers need answers. He need answers, but he didn't know what question should he asked to get the answers he wanted. He himself did not even sure what he wants to hear.

Oddly enough, he feel that the person who can give him the answers he craved so badly is Cassiopeia. He himself found that fact surprising. He isn't particularly close to the woman... But yet, Cassiopeia had a way to make people feel calm around her.

Steve didn't sure whether Cassiopeia are aware of this fact or not, but she really had a way to make people feel relaxed and calm through her presence. Even if she didn't talk much, the very few times Steve had actually hold a decent conversation with her was always satisfying.

She had a rational outlook in life, and she mixed that with a little bit of humor on every single words she weighed carefully.

After they all got back from that place and back to the training ground, everybody ignored him. Philips, Carter, and Stark all retreated to their own rooms as preparations for Abraham Erskine's burial is set immediately.

Steve found himself wandering around before arriving in front of a big, wooden door. Slightly confused, he turned his back to turned around before realizing that it is--was--Abraham and Cassiopeia's office.

Only yesterday they were still alive. Only yesterday he had talked about his fears to Abraham, and only yesterday he talked lenghtly with Cassiopeia.

Without even realizing it, Steve turned the doorknob and entered.

The room seemed to be frozen in time. It looks exactly as Steve had left it yesterday night. He almost expected to hear Abraham's cough or see Cassiopeia sitting on her seat, writing calmly on her desk.

Steve sighed as he walked towards their desk.

A single envelope caught his attention--it was the envelope that, Steve realized with a pang of sadness, Cassiopeia received yesterday while he was in the room.

Picking up the sealed envelope, Steve frowned as he realized that the envelope is still sealed, with a logo on the seal. It is a shield, with a skull on top. On the inside, there is a hand, holding a wooden stick. The logo didn't ring a bell in Steve's head, though considering Cassiopeia's heritage, it is probably a family emblem.

Feeling guilty, Steve put the envelope back on the desk. But by doing so, he accidentally nudged a pen on Cassiopeia's desk. Apologizing to no one in particular, he picked the pen and putting it back on the desk.

He then proceed to sit on the chair. His curiosity weighed out his feeling of guilt, he picked the sealed envelope again and began examining it.

An inscription on the bottom left of the envelope catches his eyes. It was written with an ink, and it seemed like whoever wrote it is in a hurry, because there are blotches of ink everywhere.

It reads, Cass--run away, your life is at stake, they plan to kill you.

Steve frowned as he remembered Cassiopeia's reaction as she received the letter yesterday. She looked nonplussed, even slightly annoyed and put the envelope without opening it.

And she died today.

Steve suddenly sit up straight.

Surely, this Fred Clemson is not a lonewolf?

In times of war like this, it's impossible to be a lonewolf, and this letter might contain the answer Steve's questions. The answer to the question he didn't even know he had.

Assuring himself that it is not for personal gain and apologizing to Cassiopeia in his head, he opened the envelope.

Cassie, it reads. I hope you are well and all, but alas, this is not a pleasant letter. I have written to you because Hen had overheard an order (from Schmidt, with G's approval) to kill Abraham Erskine and his assistant. The order will be carried by one of Schmidt's men, with an alias of Fred Clemson. At this, Steve hold his breath. Fred Clemson! That was the man he'd been chasing!

Hen requested a leave for us, and we're on our way to becoming British official. I hope this letter reaches you in time, because I did not want you to die. What'd happen to our Black-Potter-Malfoy inn plan after war?!

Malfoy and Potter! Steve felt as if he'd been stung. The names sounded awfully familiar, and he realized with a jolt that the names sounded familiar because it is familiar. Malfoy is the name of the man Peggy, Howard and Colonel Philips had been arguing with earlier.

Steve turned the paper, but there are no more writings. The letter ended there. Steve folded the letter and put it back on the envelope.

Thoughts began to swim around his head. Who is this Schmidt, and how did this Malfoy guy got a hold of his plan?