31: is cartography actually magic?

The living room's super crowded when Jamie and I reach it again. Not nightclub crowded, but more crowded than I would like. Midge is pacing across the floor, and Safi's watching her from the couch. River, on the other hand, is just sitting there with tented hands, this weird expression on his face like he's trying not to look as afraid as he really is. When Jamie and I stumble in, the look on his face deepens.

At this point I'm just waiting for it. He's gonna say something, and I'm just waiting for it.

Midge catches my eye, lets out an exasperated breath, and stomps forward. Snatching the bag from me, she snaps, "Took you long enough. Rocco could be dead by now for all we know."

My face twists into a scowl. "I'd prefer you not to use Rocco and dead in the same sentence, thanks."

"And I'd prefer you to be a bit more efficient!"

"Whatever, Midge," I say with what's probably a bit too much salt, because Midge looks at me like she's going to slap me. Regardless, she just huffs, plopping herself down on the carpet and slowly unfurling all the wrapped herbs we've brought her. She's so focused, her mouth pouted just a bit and her eyebrows drawn towards each other, that I don't wanna disturb her, so I don't say anything.

Then, into the silence, River says, "Is there anything we can help you with?"

"I need a piece of paper," she says, "and a needle. That's it."

"A needle?" I say. "Where am I supposed to find one of those?"
"A needle?" Midge repeats, glaring at me over her shoulder. "Like the one you sew with?"

"Oh," I reply, itching at the back of my neck, searching for any way to validate myself. "Well, I guess—I don't sew."

"Clearly not."

I'm assuming all of this snark is coming from the stress we're all feeling about the Rocco situation, because I don't know how to deal with it if it's not. She can't be mad at me, right? I mean, what did I do? I don't think I did anything. But like I've said before, I don't know how girls work. Maybe I've totally screwed everything up somehow and I don't even know it.

Rubbing my temples, I go in search of a needle. When I come back with a sewing kit, Midge has already got the incense going, and she's now in the process of grinding up roots and stems into fine powders. A wrinkled piece of paper is laid out in front of her, and everyone's watching with her with clear apprehension.

I hand the needle to Midge, just as Safiya asks, "Midge told me about a tape, or something. What did it say?"

"Not enough," I answer. "Someone's doing something bad, and they're holding Rocco captive. That's all we know right now. He said—he said the attacks are just the start of it."

Kid you not, I hear Safi swallow, but when I look at her, she's as composed as ever. God. I don't know how she does it. Ever since hearing that tape, I've been on edge, like something's gnawing within me. Something tells me it's not going to stop gnawing until I know where Rocco is, either.

"Just the start? That sounds ominous," comments Safiya.

"Agreed."

"Everyone shut up," Midge bursts out all of a sudden, causing all of us to jump. Safiya and I share a dubious look before sitting down on the floor along with Midge, River, and Jamie, the five of us forming a small circle around the parchment paper River found in a kitchen drawer. It's a weird setup, if you're not accustomed to the whole magic thing, I guess. Incense burns beside Midge's leg. Ground blackberry leaves sprinkle the parchment paper, specks of dark green against off-white. Echinacea powder dusts Midge's hand like sand.