Chapter Three

"I'll stay."

Logan didn't know what made him react so quickly, or why he'd been so quick to say he'd stay, but he meant it. He didn't have intentions of moving from this house when he moved in anyway. He lived close to his job, and he genuinely liked it there. 

Patton looked at him in surprise before sighing heavily. "No, you won't..." he said with a sad smile. "They never stay."

"I'll stay," he said again, more confidently. "Why would I leave? No, I'm not going to leave. I'll stay here."

The ghost looked down and shrugged. "It's getting late," he commented. "You should probably get some rest, Logan."

As if on cue, the intellectual young man yawned. They walked together to Logan's room, where he laid down and began to fall asleep. Patton's shimmering hand pulled his covers over him, watching with a sad smile as his breathing slowed. 

He is pretty cute, the ghost thought as he took of his glasses. He shook out his head, scolding himself.

"None of that Patton... they always leave..."

The next morning, Logan's eyes fluttered open. He remembered his encounter from last night, not sure if he'd been dreaming or not. He sat up, rubbing his eyes and putting on his glasses though he didn't remember taking them off. Once blinking and clearing his vision, he looked around. 

"Patton?" he called tentatively. Though he didn't know it, Patton watched him in shock, having not expected him to try and find him again. The ghost didn't say anything as Logan sighed. "It must have been a dream..."

He sounded disappointed as he got up and started his day. The ghost didn't say anything as he left for work, materializing into his visible form once he'd driven away. He looked down at his shimmering hands, a flicker of hope shooting through him. 

"Maybe he can be my friend," he murmured, smiling a little. When the intellectual young man returned to his house, a voice greeted him. "You're back!"

Logan's eyes widened as the ghost ran up to him with a bright smile on his face. I guess it wasn't a dream after all, he thought, smiling hesitantly. I wonder why he's so happy to see me... oh wait, didn't I tell him I'd stay with him?

"Uh, hey, Patton, right?" he asked as he set down his stuff. The ghost nodded, smiling wide. "Well, it's uh- it's nice to see you again."

"You too, Logan!" he said, looking delighted. 

The intellectual young man couldn't help but smile at his enthusiasm. The two of them began to talk, getting to know more about each other. It soon became a routine for Logan to wake up to Patton downstairs, waiting for him to see him off and then come home to him gleefully waiting for him to get back. It was good for both of them, Logan really needing someone to talk to, and Patton finding a new friend. 

There were many nights they'd spend together on the house's roof. Patton would tell stories about previous people who stayed there, and Logan would talk about constellations and the stars. They genuinely enjoyed each other's company, perhaps more than they should've.