Chapter 5 - Undead And Ready For Action

CHAPTER 5:

            I gently awoke somewhere I had never seen before. My head was killing me and I felt like my body was shaking. I rubbed my neck-sore. What happened the day before?

            I couldn’t remember.

            Something with Derek, that’s all I remember. My vision was becoming clearer and I vaguely remember what I was doing here. I walked myself back to the house I remember going into, and I let myself back in. My face was attacked with a strong stench. It smelled like death and it was horrible.

            I scrounged around looking for my phone. Dried blood was everywhere, and I was sick to my stomach. I couldn’t find my phone, and used the one in the house to call for help. I called my house phone and my mom picked up right away.

            “Hello,” her voice off and worried.

            “Mom”

            “Adrianna,” she stuttered, “is it really you?”

            “Mom, I don’t know where I am. I need help,” I lied. I knew where I was but I walked outside casually like nothing was happening. I explained to her the signs that I saw and she gave directions to police officers. I sat around for a short while until uniformed men arrived around the block in search of me. They came over to me asking questions and escorting me to the vehicle, and my mind was absent the entire time.

            The ride home was fairly long, and I had plenty to think about. I would have been able to keep my thoughts straight if these uniforms wouldn’t stop bugging me. I tried my best to remember, but last night was too hazy for me to clear up-I must’ve been drunk. I remember one thing clearly.

           Drinking wine.

           I was clueless to why I had been drinking wine, but that’s the event I remember the most. Everything else was in bits and pieces, not making sense, or just seeming out of place. It was like four different puzzles mixed up together, but they all seemed to look alike and you didn’t know how to separate any of it. Somehow I finally realized last night wasn’t a normal party. It wasn’t normal at all.

           “Miss, you’re home. If you need we can walk you inside,” the first uniform said. The second one chimed in with the same response.

            I politely declined the offer and stepped out of the squad car door that was held open for me. Hesitantly, I walked up to the familiar door that I’d been living with my whole life. I reached for the door, noticing a small scratch on the white paint right above it. I scratched at it, wondering where it came from. Maybe when mom came home with groceries in her hand and missed the lock with her key and hit the paint instead.

           I turned the knob, hearing an odd clicking sound that I never heard before. What was it coming from? Probably inside, I thought. My thoughts were completely jumbled up and confused. I was thinking about things that weren’t even important. I was noticing things I shouldn’t be. I was hearing weird sounds that no one else did. Something was happening to me.

           If I could only remember what happened at that party!

           But I couldn’t, and it was frustrating. I couldn’t remember anything! The door creaked open, and my mom was sitting in a chair, watching the door. My head poked in, and she squirmed out of her seat and jumped on me. “Ouch,” I muttered.

           “Do you need to go to the hospital,” she started. Then she muttered something to herself and began again, “Of course you do. Come on, sweetie, let’s go.” She pulled on my arm, but I didn’t budge. “I said let’s go,” she repeated.