• 2 •

•grow through what you go through•

His name's Daryl and he's been out hunting. He does that, apparently. His brother's in the woods somewhere, doing his own tracking, and he'd found his way to the highway by following a deer.

"You seen a deer?" He asks, his eyes trail around the highway as if the deer is going to magically appear.

"Not lately."

He's sat on the ground, his left knee pulled up to his chest while his other leg rests on the concrete. He seems relaxed enough, despite his stiff posture when he opened the car door. The crossbow's abandoned on the road beside him.

"Ya been 'ere long?" He doesn't look at me as he speaks and keeps a watchful eye on the road.

People usually aren't up for much conversation these days. Usually they're more interested in taking what you've got. It's been too long since I've had even half a conversation with someone who didn't have the mind and body of a six year old. Sue me, I'm intrigued.

I shrug, leaning back in my seat, "Not too long. Been driving around a lot."

"Goin' any place?" Daryl fiddles with his trousers often when he's sat down. He's done it at least five times since perching himself next to the car.

Looking down at him, I shrug my shoulders, "Nowhere specific. Just moving around. You know how it is."

He nods, falling quiet again. He's definitely not the talkative type. I wouldn't usually mind — each to their own and all that— but I really really need to have a discussion with someone other than my daughter if I'm to keep my sanity.

"What about you?" I ask in a pitiful attempt to keep the conversation flowing, "You going anywhere?"

He scoffs, a quiet little noise that sounds soft despite it's intention, "Where's t'ere to go?"

Fair point.

It's cold tonight, a bitter kind of cold that bites at your skin. It's not particularly breezy but enough for me to wish I had a sweater.

Considering I wasn't going to sleep anyway, it's nice to have something to focus on to stay awake. I may not have coffee but I have a Daryl to keep me from letting the exhaustion take over. He's supposed to be hunting, I know, but I'm grateful for his presence all the same.

"It much trouble?" I send him a questioning glance and he continues, "Wit' her?" He looks pointedly at the back seat to indicate who he means.

Tilting my head against the headrest, I raise my eyebrows at him, "Trouble, how?"

"People give you much hassle?"

"About her? No. Met a few people who wanted more than what they had, but other than that we hadn't had any trouble." I glance in the side mirror, watching the trees sway in the slow breeze for a moment, "I don't think it's got to the point where people can stomach hassling someone with a kid. Not yet."