26. Good News, Bad News

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIXgood news, bad news !

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
good news, bad news !

— 🥀 —

         Peter felt conflicted. His head was in his hands as he sat crouched on his bed, not facing Ned. His eyes were squeezed shut as he thought about what had happened only days before. What happened to Finn – his...something. He didn't know what to call Finn. They had kissed a couple times and they held hands and both knew that they definitely liked the other. But that was before.

         Before Finn had been detained, taken to a holding cell for allegedly selling drugs. Before he had been taken away when he was with Peter and right before he was going to clock into work. Before Finn had been charged with selling drugs, which didn't make sense because he knew that Finn had been clean from that life since months ago. He knew that, he believed Finn wholeheartedly...yet he had still been taken away.      

         And that where the problem arose. He liked Finn, he liked Finn a lot. Finn saw him and didn't see a nerd, not really, Finn saw him and he didn't just see Spider-Man. He saw Peter as a tutor and then a friend, simple as that. He didn't stay away from him or bully him, he accepted Peter's help even if he didn't want to be there, being tutored. And when he told Finn...he didn't badger the boy with questions – especially uncomfortable ones – like Ned.

         Don't get him wrong, he loved Ned. Ned was his best friend and he would answer basically any question the boy had, but he admitted that it was a bit annoying when Ned first found out and all he would talk about was how his best friend was a superhero. It was kind of cool, being able to share this part of his life with someone else and have them so excited – something Aunt May would never be and something Mr. Stark didn't see excitement in. But all of the questions constantly, they didn't have a conversation about anything else it seemed.

         But there's a problem: Finn's technically a criminal. And Peter knew that before, he knew that when Finn told him about the drug charges before, but it didn't seem to matter. He wasn't doing anything illegal anymore and it would probably be wiped from his records since he was a minor and his dad has so much money. God, he was rich and Peter was definitely not. Never been, probably never will.

         So why does it matter that he's labeled a criminal now?

         "I'm Spider-Man, Ned," Peter said, "If anyone finds out my identity and then how my boyfriend is a criminal that's gonna look bad on me! I stop crime but 'oh no, I'm dating him so I won't stop him' that's...I can't do that!"

         "Dude, no one's gonna find out about your identity," Ned assured him.

         "Really? You found out, so has MJ and Toni. I'm not the best at lying or anything and, well, I'm not as careful as I like to say," Peter rambled, "It's kinda a miracle that no one else has found out, really."