Aboard the Athena

"Did we hear back from Mason Wheeler?" Bill Randa asked as he looked out off the side of the ship, The Athena. Houston Brooks stood beside him, checking his watch to see when they should be going down to brief the soldiers about their reasoning for being aboard the ship.

"Unable to make it," Houston said, looking up at the man beside him. He fixed his glasses briefly before clearing his throat. "But Dr. Andersen takes just as remarkable photos and is already our Zoologist on this venture."

"Ah," Bill said, nodding his head and made a hand movement for his partner to follow him. Houston did so, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Loki... Do we know if the doctor is on the ship?"

"I don't know yet. But you know how Loki is," Houston shrugged as they neared the door to go inside. "Do you think the crew is going to give Dr. Andersen a hard time?"

Bill looked "Do people give San a hard time?" when Houston didn't answer, Bill shook his head slightly. "Of course they are going to."

Below deck, Landsat workers and US Army soldiers sat in groupings as a projector was set up. Landsat's Supervisor, Victor Nieves, stood in from, cladded in a brown suit as the onlookers sat with bored expressions. Houston stood beside San, the biologist on this expedition, against the wall. He periodically looked throughout the crowd, searching for Dr. Andersen. He once in a while locked eyes with James Conrad, their tracker. After a few restless movements of those seated, Victor decided it was time for him to begin the briefing. "Hello and welcome," he said loudly, earning everyone's attention. He gave a smile and nodded. "I am Landsat field supervisor, Victor Nieves. This is my colleague," he said, gesturing to a man, sitting in the front row. "Steve woodward; our data wrangler." Victor pressed a button, making the projector switch to the next photo. "Our expedition takes us to a place..." he began as the door was thrown open and a woman, about the age of 30, almost fell into the room, earning everyone's attention.

She looked back at the door than to the crowd of onlookers. "Heavy door."

"Excuse me, this is a private meeting," Victor said to the girl as she stood up straighter. Her button up shirt was rolled at the sleeves and tucked into some tan cargo pants.

The woman raised her brow and looked among the crowd. "I apologize, but I believe it is one that I was invited to," she said in a soft, british accent. She looked to the side of the room, making her long blonde ponytail jerk slightly, and locked eyes on Houston. "Sorry I'm late, Dr. Brooks."

She began walking to the man, passing James Conrad without even the slightest glance. Houston nodded as she reached him and looked at victor who bore a look craving an explanation. "Victor, this is Dr. Andersen."

Victor's eyes widened as he stood up straighter, slightly embarrassed. "Loki Andersen?" he asked and Loki nodded her head with a soft smirk and crossing her arms. "As in the Zoologist credited with the discoveries of 17 new species in the past 3 years?"

"18," Loki corrected, pointing a finger up slightly but keeping her arms clasped over her chest.

"Forgive me," Victor said, touching a hand to his chest. "I was unaware you were a woman. I usually associate Loki as a male's name."

Loki shrugged. "Unisex, actually, but I would like for as little people to know as possible." Loki Andersen had always been a bit of an introvert, finding more comfort in animals than other humans. It didn't help that the doctor was a woman in the seventies and usually the smartest person in the room. Though she was born in Scandinavia, she was moved to London at a very young age. "Please, Mr. Nieves, continue with your presentation."

Slowly the crew turned back to Victor and he took a few seconds to recover. He was embarrassed he was unaware of one of his acting scientist's genders. "As I was saying... Our expedition takes
us to a place... Every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries. As our satellite shows... the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world. But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side." As victor spoke, Loki shifted from one foot to the other, something James conrad noticed from his position as he leaned on a nearby support beam. He forced himself to look back to to Victor who clicked another button to show the shape of the Island. "We are also pleased to be joined for the first time by the exploration team, led by Mr. Randa and the companies of biologist, Ms. San, Geologist Mr. Brooks, and Zoologist, Dr. Andersen." As he said their names, he pointed to each of the scientists and Loki just awkwardly waved. "Our focus will be on the Island's surface, or rather, what lies beneath, Mr. Brooks, Ms. Andersen," he said, indicating for the two to come and talk.