Chapter 43/when a cold war gets hot

A/N - it seems weirdly in time that the weather in the UK has become just like the thawing Ice at the edge of a planet's sunrise. New and touching moment for Zoe. Thanks for the votes. 2,000 reads is an awfully big treasure chest. Thanks RK&Reb.

Who else would save your ass?" Said Ryder pulling his snow mask off. His face looked serious.

"Your a fucking ghost," Zoe said.

"Is that a question or a statement? You know you really overestimated your persuasive ability with a piece of defective production ordinance." He added casually coming towards her.

Zoe could only say "Ryder?"

"Please to see me ? " he asked smiling. 

She rushed up and hugged him. While she did, he couldn't help gloating.

"Next time you set a mine to kill an assassin make sure he hasn't parked over a manhole cover and possesses a quick acting explosive chord. I was one deck down by the time you were halfway towards the car. It was the only way to make sure Raven thought I was gone."

Zoe still was not sure. This must be some kind of snow blindness gone horribly wrong.

"How could you know I was coming this way?" She said.

"I didn't. This was the obvious attack point. Styles wasn't too careful about who he told where he was going. It was an obvious pinch point for Raven to attack you. When I saw the Cyborg dig in I thought it wise to wait. He was armed with Micro vibration senses."

"but what if I had gone the other way? Zoe at.

"Oh Mother has got that one covered", Ryan announced.

"So you are here with Mother?" Zoe said.

"sure. You sent her off to the spaceport. I was able to contact her before she took off. We both saw you as the perfect bait for Raven. Get him out into the open. Could be years before we have a pinch point on him like this again. "

"So if I was bait why didn't you tell me?" Zoe said.

"Hey, You blew me up remember? I should be the one feeling pissed off here. For some relationships attempted murder really doesn't send out that 'I love you' vibe."

"I do," said Zoe her breath coming out and forming a mist before her.

"I do what?" Said Ryder.

"I do love you. I love you so fucking much." Zoe said. "I'm sorry I had to kill you to figure that out."

"Now she tells me she loves me. Well in which case... I'll forgive you for killing me." Said Ryder in a slightly comic tone of voice. "But I don't want this killing to be a regular thing."

"I promise no more assassination attempts. I don't want to date the road runner anyway, I guess my excuse is I don't know what's wrong with me. I couldn't even sanction Styles during a climbing accident."

"Yes Mother and I watched that through a telescope. We were quite surprised. Mother thinks you're developing something... She had a technical term for it.. what was it?I remember conscience." He told her holding her closer. The warmed of this body refreshed hers. Everything about him was lifting her up perfectly.

"We can sort all that out later. Currently, we have seven independent entities. Raven is over there on the ridge where I think you were going. Mother is on hold, observing another trap point. Mohab can't walk but he's manning a transport in case we need to redeploy or your want heavy suppressing fire. "

"Why are you telling me all this?" Zoe said looking up to Ryans' face.

"You think you can get through seven assassins and Raven when they are waiting for you, armed with three bullets and a hunting knife, in the freezing cold, with a lodge full of soft targets," Ryan said.

Even for Zoe, those odds seemed insane.

"yes." Zoe confessed. "those odds do seem a little extreme even for me. I think I could do with your help on this."

"Well, you're going to get it because we are your team. You're the lead assassin on this. I promise I will go wherever you want to go. You are the star I want to sail by, today and forever." Ryan said.

"Let's do this," Zoe said she had to do something or she would cry. 

Ryan picked up his microphone.

"Momma bear, momma bear." He said.

"Go flame boy," said a voice on Ryan's headset.

"She's in," Ryan said.

"OK," Zoe said "show me a tactical plan"

Ryan smiled and pulled out a pad.