Chapter 17 (Edited)

I woke up to the sound of Christmas music being played downstairs, which must be from Lisa since she's been excited for this day for a couple of weeks now and had the house decked out for the occasion. It's more decoration than my family puts up, and that's saying a lot considering my parents love to go full-on with the lights as if it were a competition with our neighbours over who has the brightest, most blinding house. The winner would be ours.

I yawned as I got out of bed. Another late night after falling asleep at 3:30 am in the morning. I was reading too, I was up to my favourite part in Jane Austin's book, Emma, but, of course, sleep took over and I was forced to put it down. 'Sleep is important'. If only I could stay up all night but alas, I cannot. I'll probably continue it today since I don't really have anything to do and I didn't want to intrude in Lisa and Jacks celebration of the Christmas holiday.

My phone held many messages from Amanda, Sarah, Dillon, Chloe, Ricky, Caleb, and Nate. Ricky had been the one updating me with things between her and Nate, which I'm still rooting for. At this point, they've been on one date but nothing has been confirmed that they're boyfriend and girlfriend yet but fingers crossed things go well today since his family is supposed to joining her family today. She wants to talk to him to clear the air about their 'status' and also see her parent's reaction to him in general. Hopefully today or tomorrow she'll let me know what happens.

I walked out of the room to go check on Catherine and Max but noticed that neither of them were in their respective rooms. I went downstairs and into the living room, where the music was coming from. There I found Lisa bobbing her head to the music with a cup of hot chocolate in her hands while Max watched TV and Catherine sat next to Lisa, humming along with her and with her cute Christmas hat on her head. Jack, however, seemed to be missing from this picture.

"Morning everyone" I greeted awkwardly.

"Merry Christmas!" they all shouted in unison. I chuckled.

"Come sit," Lisa said, waving me over. I walked over and sat on her left side. She gave me a warm smile.

"How are you?" she asked.

"I'm fine" I shrugged.

I will admit though, I wish my parents were here to celebrate with us. I don't even know when they'll be back. I also wanted to know how my grandmother was and if she woke up yet. She was a widow so I understood how much she needed my parents and her family in general. It's better to be surrounded by the people you love and trust rather than going through things alone in life.

"You know, your mother called me, she wanted me to tell you that she would face time you, Catherine, and Max when she can today," Lisa notified me. I nodded. That brought some relief knowing I'll get to talk to them still today and hopefully get some updated information on everything.

"Thank you Lisa" I smiled.

"I understand it's not an ideal situation where you're celebrating a holiday with two strangers, I'm sorry it's not the best with your family not here" she apologised with a frown.

"Don't apologise, It may not be, as you said, ideal but I don't mind, as long as my family are happy" I stated. My sister was smiling and my brother was doing his usual routine of watching whatever is on TV until the food is ready. I only want my family to be happy. My parents, I can only hope that everything is ok so that they weren't stressing or worried.

"You're a good kid Amy, don't change" Lisa smiled. I nodded but remained silent.

Don't change, I think I already did, at least, that was what I wanted, I think. A lot of the time, I don't feel like myself, unless I'm at home or around my family, away from everyone because outside, you're forced to put up a front and wish that you didn't, that the whole world didn't have obstacles and people who can hurt you.