Chapter 13: The Girlfriend

"Your wings already exist. All you have to do is Fly."

*Hunter's Point of View*

I loved when she was in my arms. She fit in them perfectly. We shared a long kiss and then she stopped and smiled. I couldn't help but smile back at her. She made me so happy and I honestly haven't ever felt like this before. And now, that the truth is out she seemed a little less broken. She was honestly one of the most broken people that I have ever met. The guy that she loved was killed right next to her in a car accident and they never could really be together. Not to mention, the switch she pulled off and the lies she told to protect him even though he's dead. She also protected her best friend whom of which her boyfriend at the time of the accident cheated on her with. Her dad and the whole town were against her. How could she not have been broken?

We went back to my truck and took a long drive. We stopped at the small parking place down the gorge. Before I knew it, we were lying skin on skin in the back seat of my truck. I don't even know how that happened. I wasn't complaining. "You are beautiful. Did you know that?" I smiled to her. "No, I don't think I am." She smiled. "Well, you are. And there is nothing that you can do about it." "Oh there isn't?" "Nope. Nothing." I kissed her head. She was quiet for a second and then spoke. "I could spend forever right here." "I could too. Right here in this moment." "Just you and I. No interruptions, no one else." "Are you happy Paislee?" "Very happy. What about you?" "The happiest I've ever been." "Really?" she was glad to hear that. "Yes." "Good." She shivered a little bit. "You have to get dressed before you freeze." I gave her, her shirt and my sweat shirt. She nodded and took them. I watched her as she got dressed. I noticed marks on her side. "What are these from?" I ran my hand down them. "They are my scars. From the accident. When we crashed I slammed my side into the door and cut it open." She explained. "How didn't anyone notice them?" "They did, but no one wanted to put two and two together and figure out that I was in the passenger seat. No one, that is until you came along." She smirked at me.

"So, it's a Saturday night and it's still early. What in the world do you want to do?" she asked once I had gotten dressed again. "Let's go grab some dinner. My treat." "Okay, where do you want to go? I know this little diner and they're open 24/7. Their food is really good." "Oh really? Is it the one with the really cute blonde chick that works there? Her dad owns the shop down the street." "Yeah, that's the one. I don't know if she's working tonight. Is she your girlfriend or something?" "I don't know, I'd like her to be. But does she want to be my girlfriend?" "Yes, she does." Paislee kissed me. I loved joking around with her. She seemed less tense now, she seemed brighter too.

We got to the diner and we were seated by this older lady. "Hey Paislee. Table for two?" she looked at Paislee. "Yupp!" she smiled and we followed her to a corner booth. "Yes, I know everyone who works here. I have worked every shift." She laughed. "I figured you did. Didn't you work this morning?" "Yes, after pulling an all-nighter with you." "Right! Did you at least get enough sleep to work?" I laughed. "Yes, I've pulled doubles on less." "You've had quite the crazy weekend." I smiled. "Yes, I have. The secret that I have been keeping since I was 16/17 has come out and it feels like a huge weight has lifted off of me." "Really?" "Yes, and I think that I can finally make at peace with the fact that Zee is gone. Like I wasn't letting go, when I had the secret because it was keeping him close to me." "Is that why you didn't want to tell? You were afraid to let him go?" "Yes. I never wanted to believe that he was really gone. I was lying to everyone and myself." "I know. I could see it. I could see all the pain and the lies in your eyes every time that I looked into them." "What do you see in them now, Hunter?" she looked into my eyes. "I see peace, happiness, relief, and most of all I see strength. You had to be strong to let all of it go, especially after four years."

We went back to my house for the night. We walked in the door and my uncle was smoking his pipe and sitting in his favorite chair. I was holding Pais' hand. When she saw my uncle she tightened her grip. She was afraid of what he was going to say. "Please be nice to her." I warned him as he stood up. "Paislee, Zee was very special to me. He was like a son to me and it broke my heart when your father called me about the accident that night. I know that he blamed you, and everyone else blamed you, even I did. But tonight your father called me again. He told me what you did. He told me why. It took me by surprise, because Hunter told me all along that he didn't think it was you driving. He didn't believe what anyone said, and I thought that he was crazy. But, I'm sorry for believing the rumors and I'm sorry for blaming you. Thank you for what you did for Zee. You really didn't deserve how you've been treated the last four years." He smiled to her. He finally knew and he finally understood her, well somewhat.

"Zee was my best friend. I didn't care what they said about me, or what they thought that I did. I wanted his name to be clear, and I didn't want people talking about him, starting rumors about him, disrespecting him. He died right next to me that night and that I can never forget." She sighed. My uncle had tears in his eyes and he hugged her. "You are welcome here anytime. Just do me a favor and keep Hunter out of trouble." He whiped his tears. "Always. Keeping people out of trouble is what I do best." She smiled and looked at me. She's right. She kind of saved me.