Chapter 1: The Truck

• Dedicated to Carrie Bass

"You're like an angel but with broken wings"

May 2014

It's been 4 years since the accident. Four years Zee's been gone. His truck was fixed up by his brother Josh and was apparently sold down to a family friend in Tennessee. Nikkole and I are still best friends. Wyatt and I aren't together anymore. After graduation he moved out to Buffalo. Nikkole and I go to the community college and work as waitresses at a local diner. I live with my parents and ever since the accident, my father and I have been at odds. He blames me every day for Zee's death. My brother Ryder was good friends with Zee, and he's even dating Nikki. Ryder is 23. Three years older than me. He's my protector, he always has been.

"Paislee Kaydence! Nikki is here!" My mom yelled up to me. I was on Facebook. Like any other 19 almost 20 year old I'm addicted to Facebook. Yes my name is Paislee. Actually it's Paislee-Jay Kaydence Thorne. I get called Pay, PJ, PK, Kay, and Kaydence. Yeah it's weird. I went down to the kitchen. "Hey Nikki." I smiled. "You forgot about our plans didn't you?" she laughed at me. "No! I didn't forget. I just got distracted." I laughed. "Sure. I know that awkward laugh you have when you're lying!" "No, I'm not lying. I didn't forget." "Then what are we doing today?" "I don't know I forgot." "Paislee! We're going to the mall and then you have to pick up your truck from the shop!" she laughed. "Right! My truck!" "And the mall." "Yeah, the mall." I rolled my eyes. I absolutely hate shopping. "An hour in the mall won't kill you!" "Nikki, this is you we're talking about here. It's not like one hour it's like three." "Shut up and get in my car." She laughed. "Ha! You didn't deny anything!" I laughed and we walked out to her car.

I hate the mall with a passion and I try and stay as far away from as it as I can for as long as I can. Which with Nikki being my friend, it's not as long or as far as I want it to be. I was right three hours later we were finally heading to the shop where my truck was being detailed and everything. My windows were being tinted, my paint was being touched up and my front rack was being put on. I got my lift kit in it about a year ago. Not bad for a black 2009 Chevy Silverado extended cab. I have stickers on the back like "Silly Boys Trucks are for Girls," "You just got passed by a girl," and "In Memory of Zeeke "Zee" Ryker."

It's funny watching Nikki try and climb in the truck all the time. She loves my truck, but hates it at the same time. I think it reminds her too much of Zee. That's why I love it.

We went to her house after to drop her car off and then we went to see our friends Grayson, Gavin, and my brother Ryder. We were outside hanging out when I saw it drive by. It was a big black Chevy with flames down the sides. It took all I had not to cry. Then Nikki spoke up. "Pay, is that?" she asked with a shaky voice. "Yes, Nikki. That's Zee's truck." I couldn't believe it. It was in Tennessee. What the hell is it doing back in NY? Then it parked next to my truck and he got out.