I will always love you

Marriage was a promise, a promise to stand with each other through thick and thin. Marriage is a connection of hearts. A bond so pure, that one should fight to protect it.   

******

I went and opened the drawer of the nightstand. There was nothing in the drawer except two halves of a broken heart pendant. I took the pendant and twisted the steel chain around my fingers. The pendant was a continuous reminder that all broken halves could not be joined, they can only be forgotten. I wish so badly that I could revert back time and join the broken halves. Fifteen years ago the halves were one, but a lot has changed since then.

Fifteen years ago

I kept on filling the plain sheet of paper with colour, what form the colour was taking was still a mystery to me. I suppose it was a portrait of my family. However, my attention was elsewhere. It was on my mother. 

My sister sat comfortably on her hips, supported by her slender arms. It was indeed quite fascinating to watch her move. The elegance and grace with which she moved was bewitching. She was like the free-flowing water, the kitchen was her river. With one arm she held my sister, while with the other she cooked, cleaned, arranged and fed my sister. This made me confirm my faith on the fact that my mum was a superhero. 

After two hours of loitering in the kitchen my mother finally stopped moving and looked at the dining table, pleased with her work. A satisfactory smile played on her lips. She then turned her gaze towards me, "Honey, can you please take care of your sister" and placed my one year old sister onto my lap. I saw her sprint up the staircase. She was very excited.

An hour later the clock struck 6 P.M. It was time for my dad to return home. As soon as the clock chimed my mother ran towards the door, her blue gown flowing in the air. As she was about to turn the door knob, the door bell rang, announcing my father's arrival. It was like they could feel each other's presence. They were always in sync, like two halves of a puzzle. 

My mother lunged at him and wrapped her arms around his neck, while he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Happy Anniversary!" they both said at the same time, they stared at each others for a while. Soon they broke into fits of laughter. 

My dad walked into the house, his hand still holding my mom's hand. He kneeled down to our height, "So how was your day?" he asked, his voice dropped low so that it was barely audible and said "Do you know if your mother planned anything for me?" The only response he got was in the form of my sister's baby noises and my silence. His shoulder slumped and his head hung low. "Well I guess I have to find out," his voice sounded defeated. My dad hated surprises almost as much as he loved my mom.

"Oh don't sulk, I worked hard for it," her face had an expression of mock hurt.

 "I am sure honey, whatever surprise you planned would be amazing" he kissed her on the cheeks. Apparently my father knew exactly how to pacify mum, a very useful skill. She gave him a charming smile and led him to the kitchen.

The kitchen was lighted up with numerous candles. The table was decorated with food,plate, cutlery and did I mention food? 

"Honey, this is beautiful. Thank you" my dad said to my mum. He enveloped her into a hug and kissed her forehead. My mother's cheeks were pink by now. The sight in front of my eyes  was truly beautiful and very cute. 

My mother told me, "Your dad was my prince charming, my knight in shinning Armour." Her voice always held some pain in it, but she never delved into it. Now that I look at them, I know that my mum is a princess while my dad is a prince charming and like every fairy tale they are going to have their happily ever after too.