Prologue

Seven years ago

Bharata

The Middle East

Casey Whyte stepped out onto the balcony, clasping the balcony rails, and breathed in deeply to calm her excitement. Dressed a full princess skirted, white wedding dress, overlaid with lace embroidery organza with flower design, all the way to the tight bodice, with a lace back, the long veil attached to a diamond tiara, catching her breath. The dress rustling around her as she shifted from one foot to the other.

Glancing down into the courtyard, she took in the arrivals of cars, and the glamour of Tahir's world that was exciting. Robes mixed with designer gowns. There was no sight like it, and one she would see often from now on.

Spread before her off to the right was the city of Bharata, and beyond that, the glistening blue water of the Persian Gulf that sparkled like diamonds under the late morning sunlight. Behind, she was surrounded by mountains, perched on the peninsular. A small country compared to the other Middle Eastern countries that neighboured them. The gentle morning breeze blew in the organza style curtain behind her, back into the room, the French glass doors open.

It was finally happening after a wind-whirl romance, she was marrying Tahir. Her prince. Casey had never felt more alive, as she was about to marry the man she loved deeply. One chance meeting. Romantic dinners. Showered with gifts and flowers, she had been swept off her feet, and found herself in the Middle East about to marry a sheikh

This was her new home, and she was going to embrace it with everything she had. To be with such a man was beyond any dreams she ever had. One glance of his dark, intense whiskey eyes across a room, and she'd been hooked at first sight. Tahir had been the guest of honour, and she a waitress serving the guests in one of Melbourne's elitist hotels. He looked so majestic in a tuxedo. The only thing giving away his national was the headdress he wore. And now she was going to be his real life princess. A Sheikha.

A once in a lifetime fairytale was coming true.

Spinning on her white high heels, Casey lifted up the skirt and raced back inside to finish getting ready, her heart so full, and ready to burst with happiness. She was going to marry her beautiful man, who had shown her what it was really like to be so cherished.

The first day of the beginning of her new life.

Her parents couldn't make it, which saddened her, but understood. Having her later in life, the distance would have been too much, and her father's health had deteriorated over the last few years. Tahir had promised her, she could Skype them after the wedding, and they would visit them after the honeymoon. Just the way Tahir was, and had been since they had first met.

A knock at the door had her charging across the room. Throwing open the door, only to pause at the sight of palace guards, who were early. "Would you please follow us Miss Casey," she was asked. Not the same ones, who had escorted her to her rooms the other day, yet wore the same robes, belted with a curved dagger attached to the side, with a red and white headdress, pulled back, tucked up in a black agal that held it in place. Casey went back to collect her bouquet, pulled the veil in place, and followed the men out.

Taking a deep breath, she followed the guards through the palace towards her future...........

Impatiently Sheikh Tahir Ahmed his Bin Al-Gazi, dressed in his royal garb, pure white linen robe, with a black with gold edging transparent bisht, white headdress, held in place by a gold agal of royalty, paced the room adjoined to the main hall where the guests were settling in, waiting for the grand wedding to start. Everything was in place; everything had worked out as it should have. All ready to go, except for one thing.

No bride.

His best and most trusted man, Abdul had gone off to find the missing bride. It was a huge palace, and one could easily get lost. Quite often she had gone off exploring, discovering her new home, but he didn't expect Casey to go off on her wedding day, already over an hour late. He knew it was traditional to be late in her own country, but this was ridiculous.

Abdul bust back into the room, robe swishing around him, shaking his head. Cursing under his breath, Tahir stormed out of the room, and headed towards the rooms he had given her, when she had first arrived. His wedding garb rustled around him, the bisht ballooning out, as he charged through the palace corridors, bursting into her rooms, checking every room and came up empty. He checked her clothes that were all gone. His heart sunk in dread. No, he shook his head, not possible. The walls began to swim in front of his eyes, sinking down on the bed, only to notice the bouquet and her wedding veil that he grabbed and crunched up in his hands.

How could she do this to him?

"Tahir!" He glanced up as his stepmother dressed in long flowing dress of red, hair piled up, draped in royal jewels, raced towards him. Her hand was trembling as she handed over a letter.

"Where did you get this?" He asked, his voice choked, fighting back the sicking feeling that churned in his stomach. This can't be happening. The letter shook in his hand, and then he was ripping at the envelope, flicking the single page letter open. It was in her handwriting.

The letter fluttered to the floor.

She was gone.

Standing, he left the room and headed towards the grand hall, where his guests were gathered, numb from the inside out. Everyone stood as he entered and a silence descent upon the large room. He walked down the aisle, along the long red carpet that led to the raised platform, and stood in front a wide range of people, from all over the world, even royalty. "There will be no wedding today," he announced then walked off towards the side, into the adjoining room, where he slammed a fist into the wall, pain ripping his heart out......