Chapter Thirty- AWAKE NOW

When Katrina aroused herself from the deep tangles of sleep, her fingers reached out, seeking Cooper's warmth. Instead, she only found the coldness of the snarl of sheets. Blinking her eyes open, she stared at the ceiling. "What the hell were you thinking, Kat?" she demanded, and felt tears well up in her eyes. Fade was being tortured as she spoke, and she had gone and fucked another boy. A hard lump jolted in her throat, but she forced a swallow, and rolled out of bed, her body tight as a taut drum.

         She pulled her pants, and shirt back on, and burst out of her room, and walked down the hall to the restaurant. Her tongue felt thick and heavy, and her head pounded with a headache. Golden light poured in chunky lines from shuttered windows that lined the spacious restaurant.

         Jason and Cooper sat at table at the furthest corner of the room, nestled away from any parts of the windows. Their position was strategic, from that position they could see every corner of the room and who came in and out. A sniper could not take aim through the windows, either, as there was no clear shot.

         Cooper wore a simple black t-shirt, and his camouflage Army pants. His posture was aggressively poor, one hand thrust deep into a pocket, his hips jutting outward. His blond hair was freshly buzzed to his head. His blue eyes glinted.

         Cooper smiled at her as she approached. His eyes were calm and steady. But she shivered, and looked away. They were nothing more. All that mattered was rescuing Fade.

         She took a deep breath and began speaking.