Chapter Eleven-- The Rescue

Katrina slammed through the door, and sprinted forward, ignoring everything but the ferocious pumping of blood surging in her head. Fade ran behind her, his face stony. “This way!” he yelled. He veered toward a stairwell, his footsteps quick and fast. They crashed down the stairs blindly, winding further and further down,  into darkness, into oblivion.

They finally skidded to a door, steel and seething, looming above their heads. “Help me!” Fade grunted.  Katrina braced her shoulder against the door as Fade backed up. He kicked heavily upward, sending the hinges snapping as the door blasted inward.

Katrina scanned her fingerprint on the door of Room 102 and the door buzzed open. Sarah wailed in agony as the first needle glinted in the bright, florescent lights beaming from the ceiling. The doctor whipped around in surprise a Fade drew his gun. “Surprise.”

A gunshot rang out and blood sprayed across the room. Springing like a cat across the room, Katrina brought down the other doctor with a single, well placed blow to the neck, fracturing his skull. She knelt beside Sarah, whose wide brown eyes blazed with fear. “Kat-katrina?” she mumbled. “This… cannot be real.”

“Shhh,” Katrina motioned for Fade. He came hurrying over. “Blast the restraints off.”

“There’s a better way,” stated Fade. He held up a chain linked to a key. He slipped the key in and with a click the locks popped open. Katrina lifted her sister, holding her tightly, like some precious cargo that could not be touched.

The sirens started up in an eerie wail in the distance and the very hairs on the back of Katrina’s neck stood up and shivered.

Fade grabbed Katrina’s hand and began to run.