Chapter Twenty Five: Investigation

Katrina's eyes flickered over the screen, and she briefly glanced down at the keyboard, her fingers flying across the keys like crazed birds, slamming away at intricate coding, and tearing out the very wiring of the Department of Defense website, as she wormed her way through the firewalls and proxies, and finally accessed the prisoner database.

     Katrina was located deep inside her father's coat closet, a scramble of myriad wires running in a tangle all over the floor, and hundreds of Intel processors and computer hard drives were plugged into a scrapped together mainframe. Thus the ultimate hacking machine—virtually untraceable and could be hidden and disassembled after use, rendering it invisible to the authorities.

     Cooper shifted uncomfortably next to her, his handsome face cast in jagged shadow by the glowing blue RGB screen of the computer. "Are you sure this won't hurt any soldiers or Marines?" he asked for the third time.

     Katrina grunted. "Yeah, I'm sure." She had been working on the Deep Web for over two days now, exploiting the defenses of the DoD website, and her initial suspicion and simmering anger at Cooper had disappeared, leaving her with a warm feeling dwelling in her stomach at every turn she spoke to him.

     She opened a private search bar at the top of the window and searched "Teague Brooks" and there he was, an entire PDF file, which she downloaded, and then cleaned the hard drive of the used computer, and crushed it in her fist, and seized the file from the printer. Stapling the file together with a quick movement, she flipped it open, and began to read, her movements fast and utterly desperate.

     Teague Brooks is scheduled to be terminated in four days if he does not submit to torture. #k392k00.

     Bile pooled in the back of Katrina's throat. Green dots swam across her vision. "What’s the alphanumeric code? Is it some military code?" She asked frantically.

     Cooper's brow beetled with anger as he read the report, then his brows furrowed and drew together as he attempted to decipher the code. A strange, yet familiar twinge rose up in Katrina's stomach.

     "It's the Prison on Three Mile Island."