Chapter Twenty Six: The SWAT Team

Three, hurried knocks rapped impatiently at the door of the house. Cooper brushed aside the thin, linen curtains from the peephole, and pressed his eyes up to it, squinting. He jerked back almost immediately as if he had been stung by some venomous insect. He turned back to Katrina, his eyes snapping with horror. "Hide!" he hissed. "SWAT team!"

         Katrina did not think, she simply moved. She dove toward closet, caught her fall smoothly on her shoulder, rolled quickly, and pulled her handgun from her holster, as soon as she was anodyne in the closet.

         "What do you boys want?" Cooper's bored voice seeped through the myriad coats, Katrina pictured him leaning up against the doorframe, nonchalantly, but his muscles tense and ready for action.

         "Who are you?" The rough, angry voice of the trooper pierced through the closet, and Katrina envisioned the trooper angrily thrusting himself toward Cooper.

         "Cooper Harris,"

         "Is Katrina Foley or Jason Parker here?"

         Fear sent a knee weakening laser searing throughout Katrina's stomach, lancing pain through her skull.

         "You know," Cooper stated in a flat voice. "I really wish you didn't ask me that." A single gunshot rang out, and there was the sound of a body collapsing to the ground.

         Katrina launched herself out of the closet, squeezing off three rounds. Cooper slammed the door shut, and glared at Katrina, his eyes wild. "Activate the security system. Now!"

         Katrina leaped forward, and  sprinted down the hallway, and skidded down the lacquered floor to a safe in her father's bedroom. She flipped open the iron safe's door, and revealed a glowing keypad. She frantically punched in numbers, and it slid open a secret panel, and a control panel was revealed. She flipped a switch, and iron walls slid up from the floor, reinforcing the cement walls. Each window was barricaded by steel.

         Jason stumbled into the room, his face white with confusion. "What the fuck is going on?"

         "We're under attack!" spat Katrina. She reached a little further into safe, and yanked out an assault rifle and a knife. Loading a magazine into her rifle, she ran to Cooper and they began to set a perimeter.