Ana Crusis

BRONWYN

Bronwyn never could say after that circuitous drive exactly where they had gone. It was all a blur. Houses, stone walls, ornamented buildings, canal bridges, wrought iron gates and tall, impenetrable hedges flashed by when she glanced out the carriage windows. She spent most of the journey alternately watching behind them to catch a glimpse of their pursuers and trying not to be ill. 

She found the ride so disagreeable, it put her in quite a foul temper. She nursed her annoyance, letting it smolder. She used it to keep fear at bay.

Seth was an expert driver. They had rumbled over countless bridges and through several winding lanes when suddenly, a cart loaded high with hay bales pulled out of an alley behind them. At the next turn, the cart's driver banked too quickly, trying to keep pace with their lighter trap. Bronwyn watched as it tipped onto two wheels and crashed, spilling its cargo into the intersection and blocking passage in all directions. Seth turned again, but not before Bronwyn spied a tall man in a hooded black cloak climb out of a coach, gesturing in frustration at the farmer. Several robed figures stood behind him.

Bronwyn turned to face front, blinking in relief. Pursuit was impossible for now. Their coach slowed to a respectable trot. A few turns later, they whisked into a courtyard and stopped. Seth leapt from the driver's seat and opened the carriage door, handing her down. Two footmen closed an iron gate behind them.

"Milady," said Seth with a bow. "Welcome to Terre Manor."

Bronwyn blinked, looking up at the manse in appreciation. The stone edifice rose over a small courtyard with four stories of pedimented windows. A wide marble stairway climbed to an arched front entry which was sheltered by a buttressed, ornate balcony. Seth handed the reins to a footman and drew her up the stairs, tucking her arm under his. She looked at him, inquiring.

Seth shrugged, answering her expression. "They won't expect us to run to a Bindery Master."

The door opened before they reached the top of the stairs. A small, wiry woman held it ajar for them. Dressed in fine, but not too fine, clothing, her hair drawn up into a bun, she peered at them over thin spectacles, quizzically. Bronwyn guessed her to be the head maid.

"Himself said we'd have guests today," she said, coming down the last two steps to meet them. "I'm Miss Crusis, but please call me Ana." She sketched a quick curtsy, barely rising before turning on her heel. "Come along with you then. Himself, the Master Terre, won't return from his classes until after dinner." Disapproval dripped from her tone like raindrops, though whether she disapproved of their presence or of the Master's eating habits, Bronwyn wasn't sure. They followed. Bronwyn had to quicken her step to keep up.

"Why are we here?' Bronwyn mouthed at Seth.

The small man's mouth twisted in a knowing smile before he answered. "Your brother and Master Terre have been working together and he asked me to introduce you if things ever became ...complicated... for us in the city."

Bronwyn wasn't sure if her ire was pricked by Tabor's protective instincts or if she was still grumpy from the carriage ride, but Seth's words stoked a hot flame of defiance in her belly.

"I can take care of myself," she said, teeth gritted.

"Of course you can, love." Seth agreed amiably. They were standing outside a study at the top of the stairs. Miss Crusis motioned to them to enter.  Bronwyn let the matter drop. She'd take it up with her brother when she saw him again. If I see Tabor again, she amended, hating herself for the thought. Of course I will.

The room was large and airy, filled with sunlight streaming from multiple tall windows. Couches and finely made chairs sat in front of the bookcases that lined the room. A writing desk sat in a lonely corner. Bronwyn ignored the seats and stood before the books, studying their titles.