Memories

My heart pounded in my chest, I was too afraid to look back. How close were they? Were they gaining? My pulse beat against my ears as if trying to escape. I couldn't hear anything above my loud thoughts. Where was I? how did I get here? Was this just a dream? I pinched myself. Ouch! Nope not a dream. I finally brought myself to look back. They were close all right but I forgot about that when my feet tripped up and I fell. I was immediately transported somewhere else. My hair was matted and grizzly and I was wearing a church dress but it was dirty and torn almost unwearable. I was staring at a girl who was wide eyed and too afraid to speak. But she didn't need to. Her eyes told me all I needed to know. Run.

And I did. I ran. I ran until my shoes were run through and my feet were raw and bleeding. I ran until my stomach begged for food and my lips were cracked and bleeding. I ran as fast as I could, until I could run no more. Never stopping, never resting, never ceasing. I didn't know why but a voice in my head whispered this is my life, never slowing always running away from something. I didn't understand why I listened to the girl, why I trusted her but I did, somehow, somehow, I knew she knew something I did not. Something about my past my future, but how who was she. I finally stopped at a creek and collapsed. I didn't realize how tired I was until I had time to process far I'd run. I tried to stand up but was put in a different place, a place I knew in one of my vaguest memories, then it all came back...

The place I'd been was now newer and I was still young. Two people stood next to me smiling and I was skipping happy as can be when suddenly the sky went black. People were screaming and hurrying to hide. the people next to me tried to pull me to cover, but I ran. I tried to turn to safety but couldn't, I was helpless. Never stopping, never resting, never ceasing. As I ran I heard footsteps behind me. I ran faster yet they kept pace. Closer, closer I willed myself to go faster. Faster, faster. Finally, they caught me but I didn't struggle. I felt peace. Then I heard their cry. A cry of loss a cry of failure, thousands upon thousands wanting me back. And I felt anger. I felt confidence, I felt powers that overcame me and filled me with strength. I felt love. I felt hate. I felt those thousands of mourns all for me. And I fought back. I fought like I had never before. But I fought with a love and sympathy that I didn't know possible. I felt all of the feelings and fights of the ones overcome by this enemy. And I felt goodness. I felt a light passed on through the ages. And I trapped what had trapped me. Darkness. With this light I had I overwhelmed the darkness and it did not fight back.