"Xiao Yu, your Miss may seem like a spoiled brat but I can take care of myself. Do not worry to much! I'll even buy you a flower hairpin." I assured her as I balance myself on top of the wall. The wall wasn't so high so I was not worried.

I gave her a wave and jumped off the other side. Thankfully, despite my frail body, I wasn't hurt.

Ahh, freedom!

Not really, but you get what I mean.

I took out the map that Xiao Yu gave me and easily navigated my way towards the marketplace.

The first thing I saw were the food stalls lined up on the corner. I stopped on a stall that sells pretty flower cakes and bought one for myself. I was a bit disappointed. It was literally flour dough topped with a hibiscus flower. It wasn't even sweet, it just tasted bland. The next stall sells dumplings, the taste was passable. Then I also tried fish cakes and salted eggs. My sightseeing turned into a food trip galore.

I then noticed the sun going down, I decided to go home. But before that, I have to buy something for Xiao Yu.

A young boy suddenly bumped into me. He apologized and quickly ran off like he was being chased by someone. I shook my head and proceeded to the jewelry vendor.

"Handsome young master, come quickly and choose a hairpin for your beloved!" The vendor enthusiastically called to me.

I picked two pretty silver hairpin with a lily design, three wooden hairpin with a peony design and three pairs of earrings with various style. When I reached for my money pouch, I realized it wasn't there.

Ahh, that little guy!

When the vendor saw that I don't have money on me, she scowled.

"Don't tell me you don't have money and you have the guts to touch my goods?!" She shouted, earning the curious gazes of the people surrounding us.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, not wanting any commotion but she continued to verbally attack me with crude words.

Proper decorum and etiquette...

I am a proper noble lady...

Proper decorum and etiquette...

I am a proper noble lady...

I chanted inside my mind like a mantra to calm me down.

Ignore her, she's not worth it.

I started to walk away when she pulled me roughly. I can already tell that my arm would bruise by the way she was holding it tightly.

"Where do you think you're going?" She angrily spat.

"Madam, I have already apologized. Can you please release my arm?" I answered calmly.

"Do you think you can get away when you stole from me? Do you think with your pretty face I would just let you go?" She laughed like a mad woman as her hand entered my pocket and took out my jade hairpin.

The crowd had already gathered, watching the scene unfold. Some were looking at me with disgust, some with contempt.

"Madam, I think you're mistaken. That hairpin is mine." I said and reached for my belonging but she dodged my hand.

"Do you think you can afford this? You're dressed poorly and yet you act like a noble household's young master, what an insolent thief! Go and I will not call the authority to arrest you!" She exclaimed and shooed me away.

If it was another hairpin, I would have just left her and let her continue with her act but it was my mother's jade hairpin, a family heirloom that was passed from one generation to another. It's the only memorabilia my mother have left for me.

"Madam, give me back my hairpin. That is my family's heirloom." I claimed as I followed her back to her place.

You might think that I'm very calm in this situation but I'm actually near exploding. This audacious woman did not only insult me but was intent on stealing my jade hairpin.

"Are you still not going away? Someone! Call the author-"

"Give it to her. I'll pay for her." A tall man in an all black outfit wearing a mask covering the lower half of his face said and handed the vendor a pouch of money.

The vendor happily grabbed the money and rudely shoved the hairpin to me. The crowd dispersed as well seeing how the drama ended.

The mysterious man had a domineering aura and an imposing look. I even had second thought on whether I should approach him or not, but in the end, my conscience won.

"Thank you, kind sir." I said and bowed my head.

He ignored my gratitude and asked, "How are you going to pay me?"

Ahh, nothing is free in this world.

"Sir, I don't have money on me right now but-"

"Come with me then." He said and started to walk away, motioning for me to follow him.

Firstly, does this guy like cutting people's speech off?

Secondly, go with him? Xiao Yu said not to follow strangers!

I tugged on his sleeves and he stopped on his track to look at me. He raised his brow in question.

"I'm sorry but I can't. I have to go now." I confessed.

"Why?"

"You might think that I'm running away from paying my debt but I really have to go. Tomorrow, by noon, let's at that place and I'd pay you the money I owe." I said and pointed to a nearby cafe.

Before he could respond, I ran off. I know its unlady-like but I need to go home before Xiao Yu would collapse from worry.