Chapter Eight: Catholic Sinner

Začať od začiatku

"Wow, that's.... How did you know?"

"I did my research. I was twelve when I grew curious, a real Nancy Drew. I always wanted to be an investigator, but being that they work long hours and still don't make over seventy thousand dollars a year, I let it up." I shrugged my shoulders and continued to drink my tea. "Anyway, apparently my father was really depressed and bipolar, so he grew very jealous of my mother gaining the attention of every man in town and she couldn't calm him down. So, he murdered her and managed to ruin my life."

Katy didn't know what to say from the small confession, if she could handle this than I don't know if I should tell her the other secrets I keeping. Which is good, I need her to confess. I don't know why I need her to confess the burden Tanya's parents are trying to keep hidden, to prove that their children are monsters, to show Tony doesn't have power; to feel better about myself. It's a sick thing to think about, very terrible of me. Then again, I can be a terrible person. "Maybe.... Just maybe, you feel guilty. You're so use to helping others, fixing people's problems; but you had not clue of your father nor your parents marriage. Are you worried that the traits will be passed down to you or your children?"

I never thought of it, my father dysfunctional genes is in my DNA and if I'm not diagnosed with that terrible disease, then one of my kids could have it. "No. If I have that trait or my children, at least I know what to do."

"Are you upset with your aunt for keeping the secret from you?"

"No, I know she's protecting me from my past. To keep me from hating my father, which I don't. It's hard to control your mind, your urges and needs is what drive you to be who you are. Sometimes I imagine what if it were me instead of my mother, if I went to some sleepover or party... what if I lied to my dad where I am and he gets angry, if he cracks and drive off the bridge. My mother would be suffering, like I am, and feel guilty."

"God works in mysterious ways."

I sighed heavily and eyed the innocent catholic girl with sympathy and sadness. "What happened between you and Tony Delts?"

Just mentioning his name made Katy skin turn paper than a ghost ass, her eyes became wide and the mug in her hands started to shake from her fear. Before she lost control, she set the mug down and bumped down the lump in her throat. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Reaching across the table, I put my hand over hers in a comforting way. "It's okay. It's a confession, remember."

She snatched her hand away as if my skin were hot iron. "Were this your plan the whole time, butter me up with that fake story and corner me with that."

"First of all, it's not fake. Second, no. I'm concerned..."

"Don't! I pushed it away for a reason. So leave me the hell alone, and look elsewhere to better yourself." Katy stormed out the cafe with no hesitation.

I kicked myself in the ass for doing this, to bring up that haunting memory all because I wanted Tony to suffer, but the only person I was suffering was the victim herself. I finished the tea in a hurry before taking my leave.

Home was just two blocks away, I could see the plain gloomy house that held nothing to it but two woman with a lot on their mind. With the killer still not found and no other lead, Aunt Joyce was working nonstop sweeping the streets to find the psychopath; only gaining five hours of sleep and barely home to even have a small conversation. Being that she wasn't home, the security system van parked on the curb and the creepy taco smelling guy hovering over our home, was very weird.

I cleared my throat to gain his attention, he turned in a flash, pen horizontal in between his lips and metal clipboard in hand; the guy looked as if I was interrupting important work. "You're a week late, aren't you?"