Chapter Thirteen

We came to the last village before the Dark Forest late in the afternoon of our second day of traveling

Celeste and I had made good time flying, but now we were stopping in the village to stock up more supplies and maybe find a guide. The Dark Forest was dangerous, but it was even more dangerous if you didn't know where you were going and Celeste's magic only did so much.

The village was a dissolute place, a cluster of crumbling stone shacks and huts surrounding the main junction of the roads. The very air had a sour note of fear and desperation to it.

Celeste, in her inconspicuous human form of traveling dress and cloak, shook her head sadly as we warily entered the village.

"Long ago," She murmured to me, great sadness in her voice, "The forest was a bright, pure place. Now evil magic has made it a dark stain on this earth."

The forest, and the Skeleton Mountains, acted as a buffer between our land and Morgana's land. Even her forces dared not to enter the forest, instead she moved her sorcerers through Whistling Pass and Black River canyon.

But I knew that for my task, I would have to venture into the heart of the dark forest.

The village had only one shop to buy goods from, and I told Celeste to stay outside.

I learned that Celeste had a particular effect on people. They fawned over her, and tried to give us free things. I felt guilty taking their things just because her magic effected them, so I made sure I did the buying and bartering.

The shopkeeper was a gaunt-looking, older woman. She was sweeping the stone floor when I entered, and seemed surprised to meet a traveler.

I told her what I needed, paid the appropriate price, then waited as she gathered together the goods.

"You're not heading into the Dark Forest, are you, miss?" She asked, tying up the bag of grain I paid for.

I nodded, "Yes. Actually, is there possibly a guide I could hire to take me through?"

Her face went pale, "Oh miss, you'd do better to turn back now, and never go near that wretched place." She made a sign with her hand over her heart, a way of warding off evil spirits by provoking light magic. Even if you didn't know magic, every mother taught her children this sign.

I firmly shook my head, "It is of upmost importance that I go in. Is there a guide or not?"

The woman glanced around fervently, then leaned in and lowered her voice, "Well... there is one person I know crazy enough to lead you through. He lives in a shack a few miles into the forest. Tell him that Madge sent you."

I smiled, feeling relieved, "Thank you."

I took the supplies and went back out to Celeste, adding the food to my pack and checking that everything was secure.