36~ "I'll treasure it for infinity, pun intended."

Start from the beginning

“We are not getting hitched... yet! I suggest we wait for sometime until all is well and settled down at work. Okay?” I announced, looking equally dead at my lover. I heard a 'tch' coming from Vansh's lips. Before I had the chance to explain, he was already walking away, outside the restaurant.

“Wait!” I groaned in frustration. Damn, what a waste of prank. It was going to be our biggest one ever, yet we couldn't enjoy it to the fullest because of his decision. I was halfway through the main gate when I saw Piyush (Vansh's roommate) who told me he ran off to the hotel next to the restaurant. I thanked him and hurried towards the room we booked for a few guests.

Upon entering the room, I caught the sight of his slender back covered in a navy blue sherwani. He was sitting on the bed, probably dejected. Was it crazy that I wanted to squeeze him in my arms and pull his cheeks right now? Most probably. I was about to start the conversation but he beat me to it. “I should have learned my lesson from last time.”

“Yes, you should have.” By last time, he meant the time when he confessed to me in Huntsville. Guilt filled me up. I walked up to sit besides him. When he looked away, I let out a dejected sigh. “I'm sorry. I freaked out. Everyone was waiting for us so there was no time to think. I'm just no good with surprises. And besides I... I really wanted to pull that extravagant prank. Those faces were totally worth it.”

“Why didn't you accept my proposal?” Vansh asked straight out, ignoring whatever I said earlier. When I lowered my gaze to the ground, he only grew restless. “You didn't have any reason to reject me unless you still don't trust me. Don't tell me you changed your mind because of Natasha today?”

“No, that's not it. The thought of her never occurred to me when you proposed. I have no problems with you, Vansh. It isn't you... Well, it isn't me either.” I was quick to defend.

“Then, why? Answer me or I leave.”

“No, please, don't!” I gripped his hand when he was about to get up. I let out a heavy sigh, giving up. Guess it was time. “I have something to tell you.”

When he agreed upon to listen, I told him how I bagged upon a big fashion project after months of brushing my skills with Maitree. It was for a fashion show. I wouldn't be doing everything on my own of course, but I would have a good part in it. The only problem was the location. I would be required to locate in Mumbai for four months.

“Four months?! Why didn't you tell me sooner?” Vansh asked, alarmingly. I could see the sadness reflected in his eyes.

I settled down on his lap and circled my arms around him. “Because my dear Van, I only got a hold of this news, three days ago. With all the preparations and excitement going on, I didn't feel like being a party pooper. I was planning to tell you afterwards but then you...”

“Ahana, I didn't mean for us to get married right away. I wasn't intending on proposing you in the first place. Even that ring was purchased a week ago. Do you know how much a man has to plan to propose his woman? What better opportunity could be than this?”

“But this was the best opportunity to fool everyone, too.” I hung my head low. I fished out the little treasure from my pocket and wore it on my finger. “This ring is truly one of a kind though. It's beautiful. From where did you bring it?”

“I came across it online. When I saw this I knew I wanted to have it. That's when I decided to propose you.” He stopped messing his fingers on the ring and grazed my cheek instead, “You're not going to accept it, are you?”

“No, are you kidding me? I absolutely love it! Can I keep it, atleast?” I lowered my head until our foreheads touched, “Van, I'm not saying that I won't get married to you. There's no one else I would spend my life with, and you know that... It's just not now, when I'm getting a nice kick start to my career. Hope you understand.”