Chapter One: What is HTML?

What is HTML?

HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. (A markup lanquage)Basically, it's what's behind what you see on the screen right now - it's telling your browser what to display for you.

Everything in HTML is enclosed in a start and end tag. The start tag is the beginning of the HTML, and the end tag is the end of the HTML - and everything in between is what's happening.

For example, bold text. To write in bold text, you first need the starting tag:

<b>

And then the ending tag:

</b>

The / is telling it to end, while the b is telling it what to end.

So, let's try it out!

<b>This text is bold</b>

Would produce:

This text is bold

Simple, right? Let's cover the basics:

(Start Tag - what it is - End Tag)

<b> - Bold - </b>

<i> - Italic - </i>

<u> - Underlined - </u>

Those are some of the more simple ones. If you'd like to test them out, in the external link there is an extremely helpful online live HTML tester. This walkthrough or how-to on HTML will ask you to use it often, so bookmark it for easy access!

As you can see, there is a pattern. Usually the first word or letter is what you use in the closing tag.

So, remember to always place a closing tag after you're finished. If you don't, it can cause the webpage to "mess up".

To outline this chapter:

1. HTML = Hyper Text Markup Language

2. HTML tells the browser what to display for you

3. Some HTML is simple, some of it is hard

4. Always use a starting tag and ending tag

Next chapter: The Basics, Revisited

If you have any questions, feel free to voice them in a comment and I or another HTML-fluent Watty_Aid member will get back to you as soon as possible.

-James_Janzen, Ambassador