"They help to give us the best lives possible, Rose. Why can't you see that?"

"Because we aren't truly free, they say we are but we aren't Liam. Tomorrow they'll choose if we ever see our families again! Tell me how that's right."

"Listen, I don't want to argue with my best friend on what might be our last day together." Liam says, and I couldn't help but agree.

"What are you suggesting?" I ask.

"I'm suggesting that we go to our spot." Liam says, a childish grin spreading on his face.

Our spot has always been on the small roof of my garage, a spot where we can see our entire district glowing in the night.

"How about after dinner? It should be ready at six exactly." I suggested, the government also decides exactly what time we eat our meals and what they consist of.

"Sounds good to me, want to play some chess in the meantime?"

Chess, the only game we are aloud to play. The government say that it's stimulating and makes us use our minds.

"Sure, not like we have much else to do anyway." I say, a bit frustrated that life around here is so boring.

Liam got out the chess board, putting all the pieces in their rightful place. We played for a good twenty minutes, Liam winning four times once my parents called us down for dinner.

"Liam, I had no clue you were here!" My father said as we sat down, patting Liam on his shoulder.

"Richard, I told you we had company." My mother said while shaking her head.

"Rachel, how was I supposed to know that 'company' meant Liam?" My father asked while rolling his eyes.

"You two act like you're married or something." Ryder said with a mouth full of mashed potatoes.

"Please don't speak with food in your mouth Ryder, it's disgusting." Mother scolded.

"Sorry mum." Ryder grumbled before stuffing more food in his mouth.

"So Liam, are you excited about tomorrow?" Father asked, trying to make some real conversation.

"Most definitely, it'll be like the start of my new life, you know?" At that I rolled my eyes, this is such bullshit.

"I remember when it was my district day," he put his hand over my mother's "that's how I met Rachel. It was the best day of my life."

Ryder and I both made choking sounds, causing both of our parents to glare at us.

"That's really something." Liam said, smiling at them.

"Oh my god." I groaned before putting a piece of steak in my mouth and chewing on it until it could be swallowed.

There was some more conversation throughout dinner, not that I paid attention to it. As I finished my last bite, Liam did as well. "May we be excused?" I asked my parents.

"I don't think that's the best idea Rosemary, tomorrow is a big day and you need your rest." Mother said with a frown set in her features.

"Are you being serious?" I asked angrily, all I wanted to do was spend time with Liam.

"I'm not going to fight over this Rosemary." I looked to my father for assistance, but he was just nodding along with my mother like he was her puppet.

"It's really alright Rose, I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight everyone." Liam stood, exchanging goodbyes with everyone before walking out the front door. The entire table was silent after that, besides the sound of Ryder's obnoxiously loud chewing.