Chapter 15: Shenanigans

With all of the figure skating competitions coming to a close, it's time for the skaters to have fun. They have the exhibition gala coming up and that means they can enjoy each other's company and goof around. Which also means, I'm on baby sitter's duty for my boyfriend. And yes, I did just say baby sitter. Thankfully Coach Ghislain is here with me.

Seeing Yuzuru smile and laugh with all of his friends is so endearing. He hasn't seen most of them since he got injured, so he's missed seeing them and having moments like this. Moments like pretending to speed skate. Yuzuru was in the lead till he tried to do the hand down around the curve technique the speed skaters do and then he fell and bopped into the wall. I almost run over to that side of the rink when Misha helps him up and Yuzuru says he's okay. I huff and lean against the wall, clutching Pooh-San to me. Yuzuru comes over to me with a sheepish smile.

"You saw that, huh?" Yuzuru asks softly with a smile.

"Saw it and almost ran over there because you made a big sound when you slammed against the boards," I say pulling out a tissue from Pooh-San and wiping some sweat from his forehead. Then I quickly tap my knuckles against his forehead. "Try to not give me mini heart attacks before the Olympics is over. I still have school work to do."

"Sorry, Mai."

Then Yuzuru leans over and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. I've noticed that Yuzuru is a lot more comfortable kissing me in public here at the games and I'm not mad about it. I just think this is a new attitude coming out of him. I think this shows how comfortable he is with the people here. They understand each other and that creates such a great camaraderie. 

"Yuzuru, stop flirting with your wife and come over here!" Misha yells at us as our faces are still close to one another's.

The media that are allowed at this practice already have there cameras pointed at us, but then they go crazy. Yuzuru and I pull apart in shock. We are definitely not married. Everyone knows we're dating, but us being married would send everything into chaos.

Yuzuru quickly shuffled over to the others, whining out loud, "She's not my wife. Just girlfriend!"

I bury my head into Pooh-San out of embarrassment. Misha said that quite loudly and everyone has to stop and look at us. And there is media here so they are taking as many photos as possible and some video. Coach Ghislain laughs and pats my shoulder. I pull my head off of my Pooh-San and just rest my chin on it. My eyes move over to group of skaters rehearsing. It's entertaining watching them all interact without the pressure of competition. Everyone is smiling and laughing and just enjoying each other's company. It's so relaxing.

After some time I see Yuzuru being lifted into the air. I can never get over Yuzuru being lifted by that Czech-Italian skater, Ondrej. It always scares me because he could be dropped at any moment, but I know Ondrej is a pair skater so he knows how to lift someone without dropping them. Yuzuru looks in my direction and smiles widely. I shake my head at him, but I wave and smile back. I take my phone out and scroll through Instagram. Then Yuzuru comes up to me.

"Are you having fun?" Yuzuru ask cheekily before taking a sip of his water.

"Yeah. I enjoy watching you guys all have fun. You guys are like little kids out there when you don't have competition," I reply back ruffling his hair. Yuzuru smiles before skating back to the group.

Then Jun Hwan comes over. That little bundle of happiness. He has done so well for his first time at the Olympics. I know he's really happy to represent his country here.

"Hi noona*," Jun Hwan greets me happily. I smile at him. I haven't seen much of him while I've been here, but I've been cheering him on when I can.

"Hi Jun Hwan! How are you?" I ask as I reach over and give him a hug.

"I am good. Having lots of fun here."

"I can see that. I have to watch over my boyfriend here before he earns himself another injury from having too much fun."

"Yes, hyung* is having lots of fun."

"Maybe too much fun, but he deserves it. And you do too, so go back over there and have more fun. No point in talking to me when everyone else is over there. Shoo shoo."

I motion for him to go back to the large group of skaters while smiling. He smiles back and nods before he skates back to the group. Suddenly Yuzuru skates up to me with an excited look on his face. I don't like that.

"Mai, you have to do something for me," Yuzuru says. "Sit on the other side of the boards."

"Why? What are you up to, Yuzu?" I ask him skeptically, crossing my arms at my chest.

"Please, I promise it'll be a lot of fun for you. You should have some fun too."

"I'm having fun watching you. No need for me to get involved."

"Please, and then I'll leave you alone. I promise, you'll have fun and then I'll leave you alone."

"Throw in that Ghana chocolate and we have a deal."

"Okay! I'll give you that chocolate later. Now, sit with your legs over the boards."

I sigh exasperatedly. I climb on top of the wide board with the help of Coach Ghislain. I swing my legs over the side of the boards so they are inside of the rink. Yuzuru stays on the left of me while Jun Hwan Cha comes up to my right. What I don't notice is Javier coming up behind me. Nor do I notice Misha with his phone out documenting this. Then Yuzuru and Jun Hwan kiss my cheeks while Javier hugs me around my neck.

Then they all yell out, "Happy birthday, Marie!"

Just then I realize today is my birthday and I have completely forgot. I was so focused on many other things that my coming birthday completely escaped my mind. I look over at Yuzuru and see him holding out a present. I look over at Jun Hwan and he's holding a present as well. I turn around to look at Javier and he has a present too. I look around and everyone is surrounding us with happy faces and their phones out taking pictures of us. I thank all the guys and give them hugs. I look at Yuzuru who has a smug smile on his face. I pinch his nose before giving him a kiss. I thank him for letting me have fun.