Chap. 3

"Eust-Eustace?" I tested out the boys name on my tongue. "Hm," I whispered to Edmund, "Odd name for an odd boy."

He laughed, a sound that brought joy to my ears. It was nice, being with Edmund without the fear of war riding on our backs.

Eustace looked me up and down and huffed, his arms crossed. "Queen Y/N? Sure," he scoffed, "I've seen cows with more beauty than you."

I was immediately taken aback and I felt my heart tinged with a stinging feeling. The comment was so harsh and out of the blue I didn't know what to say.

Edmund didn't know what to say either, but used his fists instead of his words.

Flying forward, he grabbed Eustace by the sweater-vest collar and lifted him up, a snarl on Edmund's face. Angrily, he cried, "how dare you insult her with that blatant lie. Learn to keep your mouth shut!"

I quickly snapped out of my hurt trance and pulled Edmund off of his cousin, who looked terrified. Edmund had his fist reeled back and I had to hold his arm back so he wouldn't punch Eustace's nose in.

Edmund glanced at me, "I'm alright, lemme at him-"

I stopped him, stomping towards Eustace and shoving my palms into his chest, my hands chilled with frost. I could feel my eyes become cold and I knew they were completely white, just like an iceberg.

I backed Eustace into a wooden pole (that held the sail) and grabbed his collar, just like Edmund had.  As I spoke, I could see my foggy breath in the cold air around us.

"Yes; I am Queen. And you will treat me with utmost respect." My voice was a mere whisper against Eustace's face. "You will also learn to hold your tongue and have some manners."

With one last stone-cold glare, I let him go and returned to Edmund's side.  He looked at me with an expression of pride and fear. "Wow, Y/N, I forgot how feisty you are." He leaned down to my ear, his hot breath on my neck. "He's a liar, you're the most gorgeous girl in any land."

I smiled and blushed as Eustace scrambled away, a whine escaping his throat.  I saw Reepicheep go after him.  Hopefully the mouse would be a good influence on the rude boy.

"Land ho!"

I heard a crew member shout. Edmund and I rushed to the side of the ship to see a foggy island nearing us. Lucy and Caspian joined us.

"Prep the rowboats," Caspian called. "And prepare yourselves for the worst.  We don't know what could be lying in wait."

•••

The bratty boy Eustace whined too much about staying on the ship alone with some of the crew, and the remaining crew didn't look at all comfortable with him.  Reep volunteered to look after him as we explored the island.  Luckily, he was on a different rowboat than I.

"Be on guard, men- and ladies," one of our second-in-commands (Jacobi) said.

He was right for being paranoid. The island was made up of man-made stone buildings and walls and ports.

Yet there were no people.

The city was eerily quiet as we tied the boats to an empty dock, securing our escape route if anything went wrong.

Edmund helped me out of the boat, but kept a firm grip on my palm as we walked through the city. His other hand held onto the hilt of his sword, ready to fight at any time. My fist was clenched, the palm already refreshingly cold.