Chap. 1

I stayed in my room until around noon, when my stomach started to rumble.

I was hungry, not surprisingly. My appetite for breakfast had disappeared, but returned after I finally calmed down.

Caspian had put me back to bed, the tears making it hard to breath, the loss of air making it hard to stay awake.

I slowly got ready, pulling on a fresh outfit - tight leather black pants and a white blouse, cinched at the waist by a thick black belt.

As I made my bed, I could see tear stains on my pillow. I felt horrible - though I was hungry I felt nauseous, and I was drained from crying so much.

I slipped on my simple boots, lacing them up with subconscious skill.

I left my room, casting a longing glance at the torch one last time before entering the upper deck.

The crew immediately stopped what they were doing and watched me.

Everyone waited to see what I would do, perhaps cry more? Fling myself off the ship? Yell and stomp with anger? Freeze everything in sight?

I did none of those, instead, held my head high and walked to the bow, leaning on the wooden rail and breathing in the sea air.

I had grown to love the scent of saltwater. It was refreshing and always gave me some sort of calm feeling.

I could hear the crew mumbling and shuffling back to work.

Good, I thought, they don't need to worry about me. I'll be okay.

I breathed in the sea air and felt my lungs relax, my skin soaking in the afternoon sun as I leaned over the sturdy ship's rails, my hair blowing in the cool breeze.

"Hello there, Y/N." Reepicheep hopped upon the rail and walked towards me with grace. He held an apple with his tail, a great show of strength, seeing the apple was almost as big as him. He launched the apple at me I caught it, my reflexes still sharp.

"Hi, Reep."

"Are you doing alright?" He asked me.

I shrugged and took a bite out of the red fruit. "No. But I'll get past this."

Reepicheep crossed his arms and sent me a dazzling smile. "Perhaps King Edmund's torch shutting off...perhaps it was a sign of good, not bad. Don't be so quick to have pessimism, my queen."

I sighed. "Maybe you're right, Reep. Maybe..."

I trailed off and we watched the ocean waves tumble about, the scenery vast and seemingly endless. There was nothing but blue waves for miles and miles.

"Man overboard!"

A cry from multiple crew members shocked Reep and I, causing us to jump into action. A crowd of crew were gathered on the left port side, looking over the edge. A few of them had cast ropes into the dark water, chaotic shouts filling my ears.

"Three! Three of them!"
"Hoist 'em up, lads!"
"Get the captain!"
"Pull, boys, pull!"

I backed up, knowing my crew could handle whoever was overboard. I didn't want to get in the way, but I wanted to help. I quickly ran towards where Caspian stood, climbing up the steep steps to the upper level.

"Cas!" I yelled for him, "there's...people, overboard! All the way out here..."

Caspian nodded and greeted me with a hug. "Y/N, you're awake!"